Father David Benedict, left, and Father Gregory at the ruin of Quarr’s first monastery.
EACH week we look back at Isle of Wight history and heritage, using the Isle of Wight County Press Archive.For more, please see the Isle of Wight County Press newspaper, every Friday.Search for your own stories by accessing our archive here.
Ten years ago: The unique environment around Quarr Abbey won a £50,000 Heritage Lottery Fund grant.
The cash for the Quarr Abbey Heritage Project was to be used to prepare a conservation plan for the abbey church, its ancient ruins and the habitats of several rare and protected species.
100 Years Ago
March 17, 1917
Newport residents were dismayed to find the crossing from The Mall to Castle Road had been dug up and replaced with something far less satisfactory.
One man, Mr Millgate, was most appalled and mourned the loss of the crossing deeply, saying it had been there ever since he was a little boy and was a credit to the town.
The materials had been requisitioned for use elsewhere, though neither the council nor residents had been informed until after the deed was done.
75 Years Ago
March 21, 1942
A Seaview man dug up an ancient pistol while working on his allotment at the Sophie Watson Gardens.
The grounds there had formed the site of old cottages known as East Common and was the first home of the Caws family, the descendants of whom were still living there.
50 Years Ago
March 18, 1967
The County Press’s Bob Clegg was recognised for his first-class reporting on a lifeboat rescue operation.
He was given an award by the Royal National Lifeboat Institution for his account of a yacht explosion on the River Medina in October the year before.
25 Years Ago
March 20, 1992
A bleak future with declining tourism, rising unemployment and lack of serious investment was predicted for the Island in an economic study commissioned by South Wight Borough Council, th IW Development Board and the Rural Development Commission.
Dismayed members of the council were told if no corrective action was taken, the Island’s economy would grow at just half the rate of the rest of the UK.
10 Years Ago
March 17, 2007
Planners recommended approval of an ambitious scheme to transform the IW Airport at Sandown, including a 53-bedroom hotel.
The plans, which also included aircraft parking, log cabins and swimming pools, were put to the IW Council.
Previous developments had been hampered by the grass landing strip.