Looking Back, January 4, 1913

By Abby Rugg

Published on Friday, January 04, 2013 - 11:08


100 Years Ago - January 4, 1913

A SHIP was feared lost in The Channel after empty petrol cans and a large drum containing ten gallons of petrol were found by local fishermen.

The fishermen took the cargo — which included more than 100 empty gallon petrol cans — to Yarmouth, where it was discovered they were from a steamer.

It was thought they were deck cargo and it was feared the steamer had been lost at sea.


Three men were left stranded at The Needles lighthouse during Christmas due to bad weather.

A festive parcel containing meat, bread, fruit and vegetables could not be delivered by boat because of rough conditions.

A telephone to the coastguard station on the cliffs above them was the only link they had to the outside world.


A Shanklin man, aged 23, was killed by a dynamite explosion in Montana, USA.

The news reached his mother in Shanklin by cablegram and great sympathy was felt towards her.


75 Years Ago - January 8, 1938

A model yacht club organised a competition in Ryde on Boxing day.

There were 14 entries for the boat race, which was watched by a large crowd.

A table thermometer was the first prize.


A child fell 25ft down a disused well in a garden in Brading.

The seven-year-old boy loosened some bricks and tried to move a post near the well before he fell.

His mother heard cries of distress and a neighbour lowered a ladder for the boy to climb and he emerged unharmed.


A coin with an image of a flatfish was found inside the stomach of a 12.5lb skate, caught off Shanklin Pier.

After cutting open the fish, the coin — a Danzig five pfennig — was found to feature an image of a flatfish above the date, 1932.

50 Years Ago - January 5, 1963

Transport was brought to a standstill after one of the worst blizzards in living memory swept across the IW.

With most roads blocked by snow, the railways were the only means of transport.

Tributes were paid to workers who struggled for long hours to clear roads and maintain services.


A poodle valued at £20 was stolen from Sandown. The dog was one of nine poodles the owner had.

After putting an advertisement in the County Press and receiving an anonymous phone call, the owner was reunited with the pet.


After being refused one in the past, Brighstone village finally got a bus shelter.

For several years, the parish council had asked for a bus shelter in the centre of the village but it had proved impossible to obtain the plot of land required for the project.

After negotiations with the landower, a portion was made available for a bus shelter.

25 Years Ago - January 8, 1988

Buses took over from trains after floods left half-a-mile of track under water at Ryde and flooded the Esplanade tunnel.

The flooding was a result of the Monkton Mead Brook overflow, which brought the entire eight-and-a-half mile Ryde to Shanklin line to a halt.

Water from the brook, which ran past St John’s Railway Station, swirled across the line at Smallbrook, then ran downhill into the station area.


An urgent investigation was under way into claims Ryde Sands were moving steadily westwards and would leave the pier high and dry within six years.

It was feared a large sandbank would reach the pier, bringing an end to the docking of cross-Solent ferries.


A Christmas wish came true for a man who was in St Mary’s Hospital after having both his legs amputated.

The former radio amateur longed to have a radio transmitter so he could get in touch with is old contacts over the air.

The Radio Amateurs Invalid and Blind Club was contacted about his wish and it sent £1,000 worth of equipment to his hospital ward.

10 Years Ago - January 3, 2003

It was unusually quiet for Christmas Day babies on the Island but a star was born at Wootton farm, weighing in at a healthy 20 kilos.

Twinkle, the calf, arrived in the early hours, at Briddlesford Lodge Farm.

Born to five-year-old Mary, she was part of one of the last remaining Guernsey herds on the IW.


A young girl had been skateboarding with friends near the Yarmouth ferry terminal when a motorist drove over her skateboard and did not stop.

The tearful girl ran into the terminal, clutching her broken board, and told staff what had happened.

A man in his twenties, who had been queuing for a ferry ticket, heard what had happened and thrust some money into the hand of a member of staff.

He added if anyone asked, they should say it came from Santa Claus.

More Features

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

View our Elgin Traffic & Travel Map
Travel News