169 years’ worship ends

By Richard Wright

Sunday, February 2, 2014

169 years’ worship ends

The thanksgiving service at Holy Trinity Church, Ryde. Picture by Peter Boam.

HOLY Trinity in Ryde may have closed its doors for the final time as an Anglican church but there are hopes it may have a community use in the future.

Isle of Wight archdeacon, the Ven Peter Sutton, said future use of the building depended upon a structural survey of the church, which had been used for worship for 169 years.

The final service took place on Sunday after a service of thanksgiving for the life of the church was held the day before.

The Church of England decided to close the Dover Street church because of dwindling congregations despite a campaign to save it.

The church was built in 1845 to the design of architect Thomas Hellyer and is one of the twin landmark spires of Ryde.

The archdeacon said: "To close a church is a dreadfully difficult thing to do but sometimes it has to be done. Holy Trinity is one of seven Anglican churches in Ryde.

"We wanted to give the community and the Island the opportunity to thank God for their church."

He conducted the thanksgiving service on Saturday. Sunday’s service was conducted by the Rev Barry Downer, who has looked after Holy Trinity in the run-up to closure.

"The services were very well attended, which shows the strong role the building had in the local community," said Canon Sutton.

"We hope there is some sort of possibility for community use by some form of social enterprise but it has to be appropriate use.

"English Heritage, quite rightly, values the building, which is so important as one of the twin spires which welcome people to the Island."

Reporter: richardw@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by Keven Ball

6th February 2014, at 11:19:26

I do love this entertainment you provide - I know you'll never stop as well - It is an illness you have. Please continue as I find it so much fun. Thank you

by Keven Ball

6th February 2014, at 11:18:20

I think you need to wear glasses my old son, you are seeing things that aren't there... I have never been or lived in Ripon, but I am sure it is nice? Tell me about it?

4th February 2014, at 09:26:56

Peter, 'play' with him ;-)

by Baz Taylor

3rd February 2014, at 19:50:53

Well spotted Peter!

by Peter Jeffery

3rd February 2014, at 17:39:05

In trying to form my own opinions, I am even more confused.
Keven, you seem very conscious of the spelling of your name, but now you even call yourself "Kaven" !
Am I right in remembering that you moved off the IOW to Ripon ? I am puzzled that you seem to post on every IWCP item. Is there not a Ripon Reporter or Yorkshire County Press site ?

by Keven Ball

3rd February 2014, at 16:58:27

I would like to know who you're talking to? Who is kavan, as my name is Kaven! Bless them for trying so hard, almost there now, lol.welcome to the Isle of Wight for people viewing this website. You form your own opinions...

by Baz Taylor

3rd February 2014, at 08:56:46

Turn it into a decent Wetherspoons, then the one true religion can worship in there. Atheism!

by Keven Ball

2nd February 2014, at 22:40:28

@neil jacks

I am impressed, you have used a capital letter and ended in a question mark, well done. The answer is yes! Again, you have debated well over the article's title adding more food for thought. You have entertained me more, why, I do feel flattered...

by neil jacks

2nd February 2014, at 21:58:26

Keven, have you ever been to the Island?

by Keven Ball

2nd February 2014, at 21:49:28

I feel that the church could have been saved if people wanted that to happen? Public donations are essential to many religious buildings (as I have said). I feel this reflects many people's attitudes towards religion in this country now. I read far too often of churches being left to rott away! Such a shame and again a sign of the times from my view point.