£2.5m bonus for Isle of Wight Council

By a County Press reporter

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

A £2.5 million bonus is to be paid to the Isle of Wight Council thanks to the government’s New Homes Bonus.

The scheme provides an incentive to reward councils and communities for helping to build more homes.

It match funds the additional council tax raised for new homes and empty properties brought back into use for six years — with extra funding for new affordable homes.

In 2014/15, the Isle of Wight Council will receive £2,494,222 through the scheme. Figures show that since it was introduced in 2010, the authority has received £5,849,214, including this year’s bonus.

Housing minister, Kris Hopkins, said the payments gave communities a reason to say yes to new sustainable development with councils free to spend the money as they see fit to benefit the local area.

Under the New Homes Bonus, councils across the South East have been rewarded for delivering 90,000 newly-built homes and conversions and brought 9,000 empty homes back into use.

Comments

by Scott Angles

20th December 2013, at 14:35:29

I would happily give up my garden and shed! I did say that previously.

Lee!

Why I am not sure they would. I know a fair bit about film-making, and I happen to know that The Sound of Music was filmed within a warehouse studio. How very meta?

But as you say, would they? I'm not sure, really. But does that make them as bad as us or us as bad as them? I'm not certain again. However, I think it is only right that we give up this land - Church Litten, Los Altos, Seaclose, Robin Hill et al - for redevlopment for overseas migrants to come here and feel more welcome :)

by roger mazillius

19th December 2013, at 16:14:31

If the Council were really fixated with getting this bonus, surely they would have approved the hundreds of new homes in the Pennyfeathers scheme? So sorry but I must strongly disagree with those painting this or the previous administration as "concreters" at whatever the cost.
Across the UK there are just not enough homes to meet demand and the Island has a large shortfall over demand.
A lack of homes leads to more price increases thus perpetuating the problem of those wishing to get on the housing ladder.
The Island has masses of land suitable for homes and it is complete nonsense to categorise this by claiming the Island is about to become concreted over.
Just drive out of any town and see the vast unbuilt areas. There is ample space for at least another 20,000 new homes over the next 50-100 years at the rate of 200-400 a year. The present rate is around 500 a year. If the Council suddenly said no more, appeals would succeed!

by Michael Douse

18th December 2013, at 18:06:50

Dear County Press Reporter
Do these 99,000 homes represent the total since 2010 to date or are they the projected total to 2015 and to which of these two values does the does the £5,849,214 relate?
If none of the above please explain which values refer to what and how many of these are 'Affordable' and advise if young Island residents will have first opportunity to rent/buy them?

by Den Young

18th December 2013, at 17:21:57

and maybe your garden and shed Scott

by Kevin Barclay-Jay

18th December 2013, at 16:51:18

sorry comma in the wrong place...1,200 births to Islanders every year...where are our children going to live?

Troll yourself!!

by Scott Angles

18th December 2013, at 11:33:39

With so many people rightly seeking asylum from overseas, I think we should give up whatever greenery, school fields, greenbelt and church yards we can to help create more social housing on the island. :)

by Scott Angles

18th December 2013, at 09:13:36

lyk dis if u crey evrytiem.

by Keith Hunnybun

17th December 2013, at 22:11:09

I couldn't take these clowns seriously if I tried Scott.

by Scott Angles

17th December 2013, at 20:55:34

If I were you Keith I wouldn't take any of this site too seriously. It's better that way.

by Liam Thom

17th December 2013, at 20:25:39

Refuse to take it and tell Kris Hopkins to stick his homes where the sun doesn't shine.