£5 million hotel planned for Isle of Wight

By Matthew Mckew

Thursday, January 23, 2014

A £5 MILLION hotel, creating more than two dozen jobs, could be built on the Island, if planners give it the go ahead.

Hotel giants Premier Inn want to build a new 81-bedroom hotel adjacent to the Merrie Gardens pub on Newport Road, Lake.

The national firm is aiming to open its doors by the summer of 2015. It will create up to 25 jobs.

Premier Inn already owns a hotel alongside the River Medina at Seaclose, on Fairlee Road, Newport.

The second hotel comes as a result of the Newport venue enjoying such success.

It is also in line with a national expansion programme to increase bedroom capacity to 75,000 rooms in the UK and Ireland.

The Lake planning application specifies a hotel, associated car park and landscaping, at a site adjacent to Blackpan House, Blackpan Cottage and the Merrie Gardens pub, on Newport Road, Lake.

A spokesperson for Whitbread Hotels & Restaurants said: "We would welcome the opportunity to bring new investment, jobs and facilities to the town. It’s early in the planning process but we hope we can work with everyone with an interest in the proposals to develop the best scheme and bring a new Premier Inn to Lake in the near future."

Comments

by Paul Cox

24th January 2014, at 10:24:27

@Baz Taylor - I tried to book this room over 2 months ago so I do know what I am talking about, so keep your insults to yourself. You try booking a room on the island for one day for £29 with Premier Inn - good luck with that. As you are a fan do you work for them or something? They are rip-off merchants and we have enough hotels and B&B's over here without needing them.

by Keven Ball

24th January 2014, at 10:21:44

Overall, I feel most of the comments are for the hotel being built on the island. All I have to say is be careful for what you wish for... Time will tell if the build goes ahead and what impact it will have on local business...

by neil jacks

24th January 2014, at 09:05:58

That's true mark.
I

by Mark Miller

24th January 2014, at 08:56:19

Brilliant news for both Lake and the Island generally. Will also make that scrap of land look much better. That said, I dare say, judging by some of the comments, some would prefer a drive-thru McDonalds instead.

by neil jacks

24th January 2014, at 05:04:39

Best of luck, what a horrible place to build such a hotel, get on with it i say won't make much difference to any one.

by barbara penman

23rd January 2014, at 23:07:52

Are we not the lucky ones, cannot wait. Anyway,their beds are too hard, alright for one or two nights but no more, and in most cases breakfast is extra.

by Baz Taylor

23rd January 2014, at 23:00:19

@Paul Cox. You're very wrong mate. If you know you are going away in a couple of months time and check out Premier Inns, you will more than likely find the offers of £29 rooms, even at a minimum of one night stay. As I said earlier, I am a regular user of Premier Inns, so I know the score. Sure they get busy - I had to change my choice at Xmas because my regular one was full, but even on Boxing Day in Coventry, the rooms were still £29 per night - less than £15 per person for me and 'er indoors. They are certainly not rip-off merchants. Do your homework!

by Keven Ball

23rd January 2014, at 20:28:58

@ Paul try some local guess houses for cheap B&B prices. I know one in Shanklin that will do it for around £25 a night! Let me know if you want the name of the place?

by Paul Cox

23rd January 2014, at 18:49:04

We do not need these rip-off merchants over here. My sister is visiting the island in February, hardly a peak time of year. I went on the Premier Inn website to see what a room only would cost for two nights - over £120 ! (Yes, this is the chain who claim to let rooms for £29 a night). I then requested a price for one night - all of a sudden there were no rooms available i.e. unless you book for two nights or more they are not interested. I say again, we do not need these con men building their hotels here just to tarnish the islands name with their rip off tactics.

by Keven Ball

23rd January 2014, at 18:39:47

I feel more retail outlets would be a better investment. There was rumours of an ASDA being built upon the island? That would be better more jobs and it benefits all the people on the island. Supermarket chains would be much better than a hotel in my opinion.