By Abby Rugg
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
AN additional waste collection will happen today (Tuesday).
The Isle of Wight Council has agreed with its street cleansing contractor, Urbaser, and Island Waste Services to send five vehicles to collect as many waste bags as possible.
The vehicles will be deployed in Newport, where a non-recyclables collection was missed and if there is time and capacity, they will move to other areas where the weather prevented the collection of recyclable waste, including East Cowes, Wootton and Binstead.
A spokesperson for the Isle of Wight Council said: "The capacity of these vehicles is limited and we would appeal to householders who are able to keep hold of their waste until the next scheduled collection to do so."
Log-in or register to comment on this story. See our House Rules here.
By ticking "Remember me" you agree to a cookie being stored on your computer - no personal data is shared.
Log-in to Report
by Valerie Ching
24th January 2013, at 05:54:44
This is the weakness of a fortnightly collection of black bag rubbish any miss and it is a month before the bags go. Feel that the link between contractor -IWC - and operatives rules of working is strained sometimes - and as you say this can be hard on the bin men. I queried recently about rubbish on the road after a collection was made. Told by contractors it was not their remit and to ring council after having previously been told by council to ring contractors. Contractors adamant that it is the householders job to ensure rubbish is bagged securely. So if it is split open by foxes etc this is not their problem in the terms of the contract. Second try to council confirmed this is so but they do have street sweeping service that removes rubbish left on road - and did so promptly and efficiently after my concern wa relayed on . All rather strange from a public health point of view - but apparently that's the way it works. Its a funny old world in some ways I reckon.
by Steven Payton
22nd January 2013, at 14:01:15
Recieved this reply from the council.Dear Mr Payton – I can advise you that the information reported by the media today is incorrect and conflicts with the Press Release put out by the Council. An additional waste collection is not being undertaken for those properties not undertaken on Friday due to the adverse weather conditions, and the Council’s advice continues that householders should take in their waste and await their next appropriate collection i.e. for Eats Cowes the next recycling collection will be on Friday 1 February What is happening in Newport and other affected areas today and Wednesday is that the Council’s street cleaning contractors are removing accumulations of bags that may cause a hazard to pedestrian and other road users. We would expect householders wherever possible to remove their waste from the pavements but appreciate that this is not always possible. Regrettably the IWCP have not yet agreed to remove or amend their incorrect news story from the
by Andy Phillips
22nd January 2013, at 13:46:02
What happens if there is no time or capacity? Will the rubbish stay on the kerbside until next week? Rubbish out, rubbish in, rubbish out, rubbish in, I concur with Steven, most of us won't have chance to get home to put our waste back out, will there be any more additional collections? Any one at county hall care to let us know so we can prepare?
by Paul Rann
22nd January 2013, at 13:01:59
Agree with that Steven. Wouldn't have bothered moving all my waste bins back to my doorstep. Really poor the way IWC have put this information across.
22nd January 2013, at 12:33:41
its nice of the council to inform people of the extra collections after the normal working man has gone to work and can't put the bins out. Thats what you call great orginisation.
by kevin froment
22nd January 2013, at 12:02:54
all our rubbish is put into collection areas, there are at the moment upwards of 50 bags waiting since friday to be collected, these are being added to daily, other communal areas here are also littered with bags of rubbish, it is unacceptable to say that if there is time they will collect from areas other than newport, its a good job its recyclable items because we have rats and badgers here that rifle through the black sacks much to the annoyance of the poor bin men
Any views or opinions presented in the comments above are solely those of the author and do not represent those of the Isle of Wight County Press.
Saturday, March 8, 2014
Friday, March 7, 2014
IWCP v4.0 © Isle of Wight County Press 2011. All Rights Reserved. Web Design By Matrix Create.
Contact Us | Disclaimer
| Cookies | Links | Sitemap
Isle of Wight County Press Ltd. Registered office: Brannon House, 123 Pyle Street,
Newport, Isle of Wight PO30 1ST. Registered in England. Registered number: 1342243.