Arreton residents attend a meeting to discuss the planning application for 89 homes, last year. Picture by Robin Crossley.
CONTROVERSIAL plans to build 89 homes at Hazely Combe in Arreton will be looked at again by planning inspectors after an appeal was lodged with the secretary of state.
The scheme, which sparked fierce opposition from residents, was thrown out by planning bosses at the Isle of Wight Council in September last year.
The refusal notice said the scale and site of the proposal would be significantly out of keeping and encroach on the countryside.
It also said the application submitted by Laurence Calloway to the Isle of Wight Council was not supported by sufficient information to demonstrate the need for the number, type and size of homes proposed.
Residents set up the action group, Arreton Villagers Against Development (AVAD) to oppose the controversial proposals.
A scaled down application for the site to build 40 homes was lodged with the Isle of Wight Council in January.
However, AVAD say it is still too much for such a small village.
Representations to the planning inspector must be received by April 7.