Bestival: Hunt for Isle of Wight's hottest talent

By Ross Findon

Friday, April 4, 2014

Bestival: Hunt for Isle of Wight's hottest talent

Bestival curator Rob da Bank is on the hunt for Isle of Wight talent.

BESTIVAL'S annual search to find the best creative talent on the Isle of Wight returns today (Friday).

At stake is the chance to perform at the award-winning event in September alongside some of the biggest names in the business, including Nile Rodgers, Beck, Peter Hook, Basement Jaxx and Outkast.

Entries are split into four categories, best Island band, DJ, choir and spoken word artist.

The winners will find themselves performing on either the main stage, hidden disco, Big Top or amphitheatre stages, depending on the category.

Rob said:  "I am still slightly flabbergasted at the crazy amount of young Island talent that I see on a regular basis via my monthly Music Club at Quay Arts.

"All of the competition winners shone brightly at Bestival last year when they stepped up the very biggest of stages and I am totally confident that this year’s winners will do me and the Bestival team proud yet again. Bring on the mp3s!"

Rob will select a shortlist of three acts for each category, who will then compete at a live event at Northwood House, Cowes, on June 5 in front of a panel of judges including Mark King of Level 42 and Glyn Taylor of Isle of Wight Radio.

How to enter and rules:

Competitors should send 1 x mp3 (no more than 6MB in size please!) of the one track that they feel best represents their abilities (or a recent DJ set that really demonstrates their skills – 20mins max) via one of the following downloadable entry forms – click category below as appropriate;

Band
2014.bestival.net/system/files/032014/532affabf00bcc0e1e000004/original/BESTIVAL_2014_ISLAND_BAND_COMP_ENTRY_FORM-FOR_BANDS_SINGERS.doc?1395326891

DJ

Choir

Spoken Word
2014.bestival.net/system/files/032014/532aef66f00bcc585b000006/original/BESTIVAL_2014_ISLAND_SPOKENWORD_COMP_ENTRY_FORM-FOR_SPOKENWORD.doc?1395322726

All entrants MUST be full-time residents of the Isle of Wight. All entries will be fully vetted and any entrants found to not qualify will once again be disqualified.

Comments

by Baz Taylor

8th April 2014, at 12:37:34

Not an insult. I just feel that as you have no interest in music so you must lead a very dull life. How is that an insult?

by Tony Tiltman Jnr

7th April 2014, at 13:52:41

You will never know, and no need for the insult fella.

by Baz Taylor

7th April 2014, at 13:19:02

Sorry to hear that TT Jnr. It's obvious you have no interest in music whatsoever. Carry on with your dull life :-)

by Tony Tiltman Jnr

5th April 2014, at 21:48:02

I'd rather have my tongue pulled out nailed to wooden floor and beaten flat with a steak tenderiser, no offence Baz.

by Baz Taylor

5th April 2014, at 17:34:30

I know Rob da Bank reasonably well TT Jnr, and the photo is one of him simply relaxing. He is absolutely passionate about young people from the island achieving a goal in life through their music. I've been many times to the Quay Arts to witness the acts. Believe me, they are GOOD! I suggest you take a look yourself. You would be pleasantly surprised.

by Tony Tiltman Jnr

5th April 2014, at 08:41:41

Just take a look at the Photo for this post, what sort of message does that send out ? Just asking the question.

by Tony Tiltman Jnr

5th April 2014, at 08:14:15

Sorry Baz, but todays music and musicians does'nt qualify for anything other than humorous quips, in my opinion. I assume i'm allowed to have one.

by Baz Taylor

4th April 2014, at 17:06:46

Some great acts last year from Rob's competition. Should be just as good this year!
Silly snide comments really don't do this justice TT Jnr. Grow up.

by Tony Tiltman Jnr

4th April 2014, at 11:00:12

I hear D. ICKE and A. TURNER are a class act.