Bestival: OutKast revealed as headliners

By a County Press reporter

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Bestival: OutKast revealed as headliners

OutKast rappers Andre 3000 and Big Boi will be on the Isle of Wight in September headlining Bestival.

OUTKAST have been named as the first headline act confirmed for this year's Bestival.

The recently reformed hip-hop duo will head to the Isle of Wight in September for what will be one of only two UK festival performances this year.

Organisers also revealed this year's fancy dress theme — Desert Island Disco.

Curator Rob da Bank said: "Hey ya!  By the power invested in me as chief Bestival booker, I'm pretty darn excited to announce that OutKast are headlining Bestival this year.  We've fought hard to get the recently reunited legendary hip-hop duo onto the ferry.

"And it's no ordinary ferry this year as Bestival goes Desert Island Disco for 2014.  Palm trees, grass skirts and mirrorballs are the order of the day. It truly is gonna be the Bestival yet!"

Bestival takes place at Robin Hill, from September 4 to 7.

Comments

by Den Young

30th January 2014, at 06:57:45

sorry Lee you are wrong here it benefits a lot of isle of wight people that go and gives plenty of enjoyment that's what they and I get out of it, like I said before why don't you try it? obviously you are slagging something you have never tried, and that is very easy to do.

by James Reed

29th January 2014, at 09:49:55

What about that little old shop in Godshill, Seaview, Brighstone, Carisbrooke, did they make an income from all of these people visiting our shores?
Lee you’re really clutching at straws here, so are we now saying unless every business on the Island financially benefits then we doesn’t want festivals on the Island?

What world do you live it? Maybe you should give us some ideas on how the Island could be improved?

Normally I would have let this conversation go but your continued rhetoric is idiotic at best

by Daniel Rooke

29th January 2014, at 02:27:10

Re: "Newport is a nightmare to travel around, roads diverted, mud, mud everywhere that time of the monsoon" ~ You know that's the Isle of Wight Festival, don't you? Can't blame that one on Rob da Bank! Lol, Bestival is the one at Robin Hill where there were hardly any delays and definitely no mud in Newport.

by Daniel Rooke

29th January 2014, at 02:05:44

Lee, if you are able to organise and fund an event that will bring huge numbers of people to the Isle of Wight, boost the local economy and keep everyone happy, let me know, I would love to help out :-)

by Baz Taylor

28th January 2014, at 22:56:11

I said earlier (2nd post in), that I wouldn't be going this year. I've been to a few Bestivals (missed last years though), but this years "headliners" just don't do it for me. I know Rob Da Bank (though not well enough to exchange phone numbers!), as I work at the Quay Arts with the Youth Trust with his Music Club. He is absolutely passionate about making sure the young people on the island have somewhere to get together for their music. I've heard them play and believe me, they are GOOD! Without Rob's help they wouldn't have anything. He goes along in person when he can as well. However, I still think he needs to extend the search for some really top "headline" acts for this year, otherwise it could all go downhill.

by Daniel Rooke

28th January 2014, at 22:49:20

Lee Majors you couldn't be more wrong!  Rob and Josie make a massive contribution to the island both through Bestival and personally. It isn't just the 60,000 customers that use the ferries it's also the hundreds of lorries bearing everything from portacabins to trackways. If we want the ferry companies to continue providing unprofitable late night crossings for Islanders we should be very grateful that so many people and businesses do use the ferries for the Festivals! Also, Bestival is a massive employer with thousands of staff many of which are young Islanders! I also heard that taxi drivers can earn more in those four days than a whole month!

Bestival puts the Isle of Wight on the map for thousands of young people who might not otherwise come here. Who knows how many will return later in life.

NB: Bestival helped my wife and I to collect more than 5000 toys for less fortunate Island children over the last two years and Simon Blackmore is his real name by the way.

by Den Young

28th January 2014, at 21:53:27

James you summed it up "what do I get out of it" enjoyment why don't you try it Lee ill even buy you a beer

by James Reed

28th January 2014, at 20:56:37

Not wishing to answer for Den, but you don’t have to have a life changing experience or make money to benefit from Bestival, socialising, enjoying the music and atmosphere are all beneficial to someone’s life, I don’t expect you understand that view point though.

With regards to Rob da Bank, hes a festival promoter!, its his job to get positive exposure for his festival. And guess what he does a lot of good along the way.

Don’t be so closed minded Lee life’s for living

by Den Young

28th January 2014, at 19:35:56

sorry Lee you asked who benefitted from the weekend, well me for one, I go every year, you want to try it, you just might like it.

by b taylor

28th January 2014, at 15:29:54

Well said james.
Always negative come with solutions