Cash for youth projects from police and crime commissioner

By Martin Neville

Monday, January 27, 2014

A cash windfall of £4,000 has been awarded to an Isle of Wight youth shelter project from police and crime commissioner Simon Hayes.

Two shelters are planned for Isle of Wight Council land on the edge of Church Litten, Newport, to provide a safe environment for young people who currently congregate at Newport Bus Station, and tackle anti-social behaviour which plagues the area.

Newport Parish Council, which is spearheading the project, discovered on Thursday that its bid to the Police and Crime Commissioner’s Protecting People and Places Fund had been successful.

Newport Central councillor Julie Jones-Evans, the lead member on the project, said: "We are absolutely thrilled. We now have enough money for two shelters providing a safe space for young people to hang out."

The town council, which has contributed £6,000 towards the scheme, plans to consult young people on its plans, which could include lighting as well as power points to enable them to charge their mobile phones and iPods.

Town councillors are also working closely with the IW Council as the plans will require a wall near the library to be moved.

There was also good news for Niton Methodist Church, which has been given £4,000 for youth work in the village.

Reporter: martinn@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by Keven Ball

28th January 2014, at 22:47:41

@Mike
if you do not want a sensible debate why comment? I from your response/s "Have I mentioned the beaches of the Isle of Wight AT ALL?" I can see you haven't heard of the word "metaphor" before? I agree with Neil here the island is beautiful but can and needs to do more for the youth. I feel as you are a grandparent you are much older than myself? The term youth is classed from 13 - 19 years of age known as teenagers Mike. The silly comments proves you cannot handle a serious debate and reflect only badly upon you, thank about it...

28th January 2014, at 19:33:52

Neil those who do not wish to take part in “organised” activities, be it, Scouts, Cadets, Football, Boxing, Choirs, Guides, Rangers, Theatres, other organisations such as Medina Marching band or Vectis Corp of Drums, Carnival Associations, Rowing, Bowling, Cricket or even Fishing Clubs and so many other things/outfits/past times, all have one thing common to them all…………. Discipline. Discipline in that they have to ‘perform’, ‘act’, ‘work’, ‘co-operate’ etc with others and they don’t want that and cannot tolerate it, thus they moan and say ‘There is nothing for them’ Such a shame for those who give their time free, to provide these activities, in many case free of charge to the recipients, or at least at a very reasonable rate……………..

28th January 2014, at 19:21:23

"""You can take a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink"""

I have not spoon fed ANYBODY.

Think about it.

28th January 2014, at 18:39:21

Neil are you not capable of looking to see what other activities there are on the Island for the 4 - 24 year olds?

Maybe this is the problem, they all want to be spoon fed.

28th January 2014, at 18:37:30

By the way, I DO have children of my own and a Grandson who has found pleasure and enjoyment on the Isle of wight and has achieved his aims. OK now on the mainland, but only because the Royal Marine School of Music is at Portsmouth

28th January 2014, at 18:34:48

I invite the readers of this forum to study the following statements ........

""" yet you think the island's beaches will keep the youth out of trouble."""

"""- no nightclubs """

""" I wouldn't want be be apart of the sea cadets at 18 years of age"""

......... and answer the following questions.

Have I mentioned the beaches of the Isle of Wight AT ALL?

Are Night Clubs the ONLY form of entertainment?

Were you confused and really meant that all 18 year olds were meant to join the Sea Cadets? and if so, did I really mean the 18 year olds to take up Stage Interests?

Or did you understand that I was only using these as examples?

If you are still confused and not able to Google past times and activities for the youth of the Isle of wight, please please PLEASE let me know and I will do it for you.

By the way, I DO have children of my own and a Grandson who has found ple

by Keven Ball

28th January 2014, at 17:09:08

The problem is that many of the youths are all depressed/oppressed on the island. There is a high percentage of unemployment that equals boredom and no money! Most of these activities cost money, which the youth and/or their parents simply do not have (on average). Therefore, this crates a very negative outlook for them and gives them little to no hope. Of course there is hope and there are jobs on the island but they have to take that pro-active approach and try and gain employment. However, even if you had money on the island there still is not much in terms of entertainment for 18 - 25 years old - no nightclubs , not many bars, no big sports grounds/teams to support etc. I wouldn't want be be apart of the sea cadets at 18 years of age...maybe it I was 10 Mike... behind the times?

by Keven Ball

28th January 2014, at 16:59:48

*They're fed-up

by Keven Ball

28th January 2014, at 16:58:42

@ Mike
I am not sure of your age grouping? I myself am still young (later 20s) and I was so glad I had my youth on the mainland and with people who were close to me (such as my university mates). I would not have had the experiences I do today unless I was on the mainland. The island offers nothing for their youth at all. The council I believe closed the only nightclub the island had therefore no night-life for teenagers and young people... yet you think the island's beaches will keep the youth out of trouble...wake-up and smell the coffee. The youth I have spoken to on the island all cannot wait to get off the island, why, there are fed-up!

28th January 2014, at 09:45:14

--""you find me children who want cadets and theatre""--

just a couple for starters :-)

Want more of the type of things where youngsters are having fun and enjoying themselves, here, on the Isle of Wight?

Read the articles and look at the pictures in the County Press and see just what is available to the Youth on the Island ..............

BUT, .... they are all activities for them ""TO TAKE PART"", if you want entertainment which is spoon fed to them, sorry, not mine, or my families type of activity so I am unable to help you.