Classroom to catwalk in one easy lesson

By a County Press reporter

Sunday, January 26, 2014

Classroom to catwalk in one easy lesson

Sam Rosewell-Poulter on the Paris Fashion Week catwalk. Picture by Olivier Claisse.

LAST Friday, Christ the King College student Sam Rosewell-Poulter should have been sitting in double maths; instead he was rehearsing on the catwalk for Paris Fashion Week.

Sam, 17, was catapulted into the spotlight when he was chosen to model for prestigious label Icosphere, with 16 professional models.

The student, from Carisbrooke High Street, was given the chance when family friend, Icosphere designer and former Islander, Julia Smith, saw his potential last summer.

She put his photograph forward when her company was selecting models for the week and Sam was flown out to Paris for casting last Thursday and offered the job.

He said, "It was daunting as I was taken immediately to the fashion house when I landed in Paris and I had to model the clothes I would be wearing on the catwalk then and there. It sounds easy just walking in a line but you have to do it in a certain way, with energy and purpose."

Sam had to perform in front of 300 guests plus media in the 17th century Maison des Polytechniciens.

He said, "I was quite nervous but some of the other models seemed even more nervous than me backstage. The worse thing was our shoes were very slippery on the parquet flooring."

Sam had his picture splashed over the French fashion press, was filmed by a TV company and signed up by top Paris model agency Success Models.

He takes A-levels in art, maths and computing this summer and had already intended to take a gap year.

Sam said "I will probably continue modelling after my exams as it is a chance to travel and earn money at the same time."

Comments

by Stephen Elliott

27th January 2014, at 22:47:03

But all in all I wish he uses the opportunity and excels :)

by Keven Ball

27th January 2014, at 17:52:06

@ Chris
Sam is not in school he is doing A-Levels and it said last summer he was spotted, I assume he was a school leaver by then?

by Chris Firth

27th January 2014, at 16:55:15

I wonder if his parents were fined for taking him out of school in term time?

by Will Matthews

27th January 2014, at 14:11:29

Sorry Mike, I know I have asked this before, but you didn't reply. What is the point of these multiple speech marks?

27th January 2014, at 11:24:54

Yes I agree too, BUT it matters who he associated with in the first place, do you honestly think that he was one of these? .....

""Two shelters are planned for Isle of Wight Council land on the edge of Church Litten, Newport, to provide a safe environment for young people who currently congregate at Newport Bus Station, and tackle anti-social behaviour which plagues the area.""

No neither do I. It depends on your social circle and who you mix with.

by Keven Ball

27th January 2014, at 11:14:15

@ Stephen
It has always been the case, I do agree though.

by Stephen Elliott

26th January 2014, at 23:55:09

It's not what you know but who you know!

by Keven Ball

26th January 2014, at 19:11:18

I am glad Sam is level-headed over his future. Although it is great news for him to become a model and I am sure he will travel and earn well with modelling. The long-term plan to have his A-Levels behind him is very wise and mature. Modelling is a very short career and one day he might need his qualifications in the future. I wish him well.

26th January 2014, at 16:23:39

Well done Sam. I somehow don't think you will be needing that Computing qualification now :-)