College closes department over scabies concerns

By Sara Bryce

Thursday, February 13, 2014

A SUSPECTED outbreak of scabies has led to the temporary closure of the beauty department at Isle of Wight College.

The department was closed as a precaution after four students developed a skin condition, believed to be scabies.

A college spokeswoman said that the department had been closed ahead of next week's half term to allow any potential cases to develop and to give staff a chance to complete health and safety advised cleaning procedures.

A statement issued by the college said: "Given the practical nature of such courses, this cautious policy of closing the department most at risk will prevent the infection spreading between students. The department will re-open again after the half term break.

"Students have received a letter detailing the symptoms of the infection and advised to consult their local GP where necessary."

Reporter: sarab@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by Keven Ball

17th February 2014, at 11:40:08

No David, that is treatment for scabies as well...

by David Blackford

16th February 2014, at 10:56:38

PS - I know - not because I've had scabies - but because I once caught ringworm off my cat - but cured in 2 days. Worth remembering if you ever get ringworm - or fly-spray if you get scabies

by David Blackford

16th February 2014, at 07:56:32

Google it Keven - treatment is insecticide - I think you are referring to ringworm which is treated with athletes foot ointment - tinaderm - I know

by Keven Ball

15th February 2014, at 19:47:28

The two most widely used treatments for scabies are special lotions or creams. Your doctor, pharmacist or nurse can advice you on which treatment to use.

by David Blackford

14th February 2014, at 12:59:24

Right James but it is insecticide that is used to kill the mites - just like aphids on my cabbages - but I expect a fungicuide would work anyway.
Fortunately I do not have scabies so I cannot confirm its efficacy.

by James McAdder

14th February 2014, at 11:44:38

Except that black spot is caused by a fungus and scabies is caused by a mite (not an insect).

by David Blackford

14th February 2014, at 07:31:15

It is cured with insecticide - Just like black spot on my roses

by alan naylor

13th February 2014, at 21:03:29

Who s been paddling in the flood water s then????????????????

by John James

13th February 2014, at 19:17:13

Scabies has nothing to do with personal hygiene you cant wash scabies off. You can get it from personal contact and also clothing and bed\linen.

by Keven Ball