Cycling scheme to boost business

By a County Press reporter

Monday, January 27, 2014

CYCLING improvements will be free-wheeling across the Island thanks to a partnership between the Isle of Wight Council, Isle of Wight Community Action and Visit Isle of Wight.

Money from the Government financed local sustainable transport fund is to be used to support cycle hire services and fit more cycle racks and shelters in a bid to get more people in the saddle, boosting tourism and local businesses.

Organisations, companies and private landowners will be able to bid for grants to install new cycle parking facilities or set up or extend cycle hire services.

Cllr Luisa Hillard, the Isle of Wight Council’s cabinet member responsible for sustainability, said: "The installation of more cycle racks and building a network of cycle hire businesses across the Island will support our aim to increase sustainable, low-carbon, forms of transport.

"I would urge B&Bs, pubs and cafes on popular cycling routes to apply for these grants to encourage trade from the 'cycle-friendly’ niche market. Town and parish councils can also apply to encourage cycling to the local shops."

People can register their interest by calling Community Action on 01983 524058 or email hello@actioniw.org.uk

Comments

by Alan Bennett

13th February 2014, at 16:17:43

The comments about Fairlee and the racecourse are 100% correct. The cycle path along the pavement is dangerous to both riders and walkers. It was only put there as the old railway line could not be used. The path alongside the racecourse is unsuitable for anything other than mountain bikes. Too many people shout at cyclists riding two abreast, that they are not conforming to the Highway Code, when said code states "You should not ride MORE than two abreast. most cyclists "single out" on busy roads, but there are idiot car drivers, cyclists and pedestrians, we should all be more patient and tolerant on the road. As for being "held up", what time as lost, 45 seconds?

by Robert Drover

29th January 2014, at 07:55:26

cycling & walking are surely the islands niche tourist attraction.Visitors need not pay extortionate car ferry fares to get here nor add to the traffic congestion which , I contend has reached saturation point..
NB pavements are a vastly underused resource---room to share.

by Keven Ball

28th January 2014, at 16:50:52

@James - I agree with you 100% over that last comment.

by James McAdder

28th January 2014, at 16:42:00

The trouble is, Keven, people with altitudes like Mr Crowe make the roads a dangerous place for cyclists.

As for fairlee and the racecourse. Cyclists use the road because the cycle path is in such poor condition, particularly for road bikes with narrow tyres.

Also many cycle paths are just not fit for purpose and are often downright dangerous.

by Keven Ball

28th January 2014, at 14:07:28

I understand you are okay with it James but I am not okay with cyclist being on the pavement at all - unless they are little children (under 13 years). As I said, it is breaking the law!

by tony white

28th January 2014, at 13:49:57

I can see the advantages in this idea and if, as others have rightly stated, a network of cycle tracks is used there is no problem but once again today we were all held up along the racecourse and int fairlee by two inconsiderate cyclists riding in the main road and ignoring the marked cycle path, also where we live cyclists have taken over the pavement and ride at high speed, anyone protesting gets treated to a tirade of foul mouthed abuse but where are the police to enforce the road traffic act?

by James McAdder

28th January 2014, at 12:04:06

I don't have a problem with cyclists using the pavement as log as it is safe to do so. Doing 6-7 mph on a wide and uncrowded pavement, and giving priority to pedestrians, is fine by me.

Blasting along at 15mph+ when there are a lot of people about obviously isn't.

by Keven Ball

28th January 2014, at 10:58:34

@ James - Yes I agree about our friend!
I agree you get the good & bad of all sets from drivers to cyclist and so on. I hate to see a cyclist riding on the pavement, for one it is against the law and secondly it is endangering pedestrians!

by David Blackford

28th January 2014, at 09:55:09

I get more concerned about cyclists riding on the pavement - OK if they ride at a sensible speed - say 5mph in the vicinity of pedestrians

by James McAdder

28th January 2014, at 07:22:58

The fact is, there are both idiot car drivers and idiot cylists.

As both a motorist and cyclist, it annoys me when I see poor and inconsiderate road use by either. I get particularly annoyed when I see cyclists ignoring one way restrictions and traffic lights as it just gives ammunition to the anti cycling lobby.

Most cyclists are also car drivers, so also pay vehicle excise duty (not road tax) and, in any case, the upkeep of IW roads comes out of council tax, which we all pay.

There are also plenty of motorists who pay no VED at all, as they have zero rated vehicles.

When cycling I can easily reach 25 mph on the flat, which is likely faster than many of the old fools complaining about being held up ;-)