Damien's family fight to search forest

By Ross Findon

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

 

UPDATED 13:13*

THE family of missing teenager Damien Nettles is fighting for the right to search for his remains in a patch of Island woodland.

Police believe Damien, who disappeared in 1996 aged 16, may have been murdered, however his body has never been found.

His family have now appealed for the Forestry Commission and the police to allow a search of a site in Parkhurst Forest, which they said had been identified to them by sources, including information obtained by paranormal means.

Damien’s sister Sarah, who lives in the US, has started an online petition asking for public support for the search.

She said: "The most recent deposition site was brought to my family’s attention in January 2011. We were approached with the story that some of Damien’s remains lay in a shallow grave in Parkhurst Forest. We were given the exact location where we would find him.

"We told the police and it was dismissed because the source of the information was unreliable because of his criminal past.

"Then, recently, the same deposition site was advised to our family who received detailed and provable information via paranormal means.

"Although my family understands that these means are not conventional, the fact that the information provided backs up the information we received from real sources, means it should be considered.

"Based on the above information, both the Hampshire Constabulary and the Forestry Commission refuse to allow my family and friends to dig the site in Parkhurst at our own time and expense. They advised that anyone who goes to dig up the sire in Parkhurst Forest will be arrested."

*In a statement originally issued in April, senior investigating officer Superintendent David Powell said: "Hampshire Constabulary has received a substantial amount of information about Damien and his possible whereabouts since 1996.

"A dedicated group of officers from the Hampshire Major Investigation Team remains focused on existing lines of enquiry while three suspects are on police bail until June.

"Whilst we appreciate and encourage the support of the public to help us to solve crimes, detectives in this case will not act on information from séances. Police must act on tangible sources, which can be checked and verified in line with established police procedures.

"Hampshire Constabulary will always value genuine efforts to pass on information that may prove helpful to police in their enquiries. However, to date, no firm evidence has been provided to police by clairvoyants or séances."

Click here to view the petition

Reporter: ross.findon@iwcp.co.uk

Comments

Log-in or register to comment on this story. See our House Rules here.

By ticking "Remember me" you agree to a cookie being stored on your computer - no personal data is shared.

Forgotten your password?

Log-in to Report

by michelle morris

24th May 2012, at 21:28:33

I also agree - What harm could it cause? I have also signed the petition and shared with my friends who have also signed.

Log-in to Report

by Richard Taylor

24th May 2012, at 12:06:55

What possible harm could this cause? The police don't seem to have come up with much.

Log-in to Report

by J Paz

24th May 2012, at 11:06:30

Threatened with arrest for searching Parkhurst Forest and in the process doing the Police's job for them, wow the Police really are sinking to an all time low, if that is at all possible.

How frustrating this must be for a family who want to try by any means to find their son

Log-in to Report

by Paul Wainwright

24th May 2012, at 05:27:08

Why not let them have a look? Can't do any harm can it? And why threaten them with arrest?

Any views or opinions presented in the comments above are solely those of the author and do not represent those of the Isle of Wight County Press.

View our Elgin Traffic & Travel Map