Demolition plans back before Isle of Wight Council

By Martin Neville

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Demolition plans back before Isle of Wight Council

Plans to demolish the Broadway Centre in Sandown will go before the Isle of Wight Council next week. Picture by Robin Crossley.

PROPOSALS to demolish an historic Isle of Wight building to make way for development are due to go before planners next week, after being deferred last month.

Sandown Town Council wants to knock down the 19th-century Broadway Centre and Los Altos buildings and build five houses and a community centre.

Town councillors claim the existing buildings are expensive to run and maintain and not fit for purpose.

Planning officers, however, have recommended refusal on the grounds the scheme would result in the loss of undesignated heritage assets.

The plans are due to go before the Isle of Wight Council’s planning committee next Tuesday.

Reporter: martinn@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

22nd January 2014, at 17:11:48

Very much before you Mark!!! By 20 years!! My first appearance at this school was on Monday 3rd March 1947!

'B.J.' Ah !!!!

I don't think this was the same one, but my children recall him with ...... ......... with what? ......... I don't know!! BUT, he held the school together as I recall it. (Sandown High that is) They were there in the 70's.

by Mark Couch

22nd January 2014, at 13:14:19

That's interesting Mike. Perhaps you were at this school before me (1967). Mr B.J. Moody was head of Sandown High School during the time I was in Red House led by the fearsome and yet highly respected Mr Charlie Bawdon.

22nd January 2014, at 12:06:38

Head Teacher was Mr Moody if I remember correctly. Teachers Mr Cooper, him with the flop of black hair over his eyes, Jinny Castle, her with the ruler on the back of your knuckles, Taffy Williams. .... any more of that ilk?

by Mark Couch

22nd January 2014, at 11:40:08

Ah my first school! Mrs Elton was the Head and Miss Downer my teacher - good old days!

Glad the recommendation is refusal. There are many other buildings in Sandown that need demolishing first.

by henry Fisher

22nd January 2014, at 10:25:05

Meanwhile all the ****py busted out and empty hotels in Sandown which need to be demolished are protected because of "heritage". Banging your head against a brick wall, forward thinking is needed to save the decline of this Island.

by david stubbings

21st January 2014, at 19:48:55

Heritage counts for Nothing in Sandown--The biggest crime in Sandown to date has been the loss of the Grove road school building, in relation this is small fry. But I am sure local councillors will score points with their developer buddies --oh yes in the name of 'regeneration' of course!!!!

by Peter Ian Staker

21st January 2014, at 18:45:42

Too much hasty decisions made in times of crisis, does our heritage count for nothing as when the current crisis is over we'll have no history or heritage left on the island and only the developers will be laughing.....all the way to the bank!!!

by Steve Lindsey

21st January 2014, at 17:29:48

Who are the yobs that want to demolish this beautiful building?

Isn't there enough ugliness in the world already?

Hon. Steven W Lindsey
state rep ( retired )
Keene, NH, USA

by Warwick Hunt

21st January 2014, at 16:47:55

This was my first school, so for one I would like to see it stay. If the council can't or won't make good use of it - then give it to a local good cause and let them try. I am sure a playschool or church group would jump at the chance

by Warwick Hunt