Driver arrested after road rage

By a County Press reporter

Published on Friday, February 22, 2013 - 08:46


A VAN driver suffered cuts to his hands, face and legs after his window was smashed in a road rage incident near Whitwell.

A 31-year-old man has been arrested by Isle of Wight police after the incident on February 12, in which the van was pursued by a yellow Honda Civic and the van's driver and a passenger were forced to seek refuge in a garage after a series of collisions.

Isle of Wight police said the incident started when the Honda attempted to overtake the white Peugeot van after it had turned out of Beacon Alley onto Niton Road, heading towards Niton.

A police spokeswoman said: "The driver of the Honda then pursued the Peugeot, beeping his horn continually whilst tailgating the van.

"As the driver of the van turned right into Sibbecks Farm at Whitwell, the Honda driver collided with the rear offside of the van.

"Both vehicles then entered the farm’s driveway where a further collision is alleged to have occurred.

"This has resulted in the driver of the Honda getting out of his vehicle and opening the passenger door of the van, however the passenger of the Peugeot van was able to pull it shut and they drove up the farm track in an effort to get away.

"As the van drove back out of the farm, the driver of the Honda has smashed the driver’s side window, which has resulted in cuts to the van driver’s face, hands and legs.

"The driver of the Peugeot van then drove back along Niton Road into Beacon Ally heading home when the Honda driver starts to pursue the van again in an aggressive manner.

"At the junction of Beacon Alley and Whitwell Road the van driver turns right but is immediately overtaken by the driver of the Honda Civic who slams on his brakes causing the Peugeot driver to collide with the rear of his car.

"By this time the passenger has called the police and they seek refuge at Whitwell garage, still being followed by the Honda driver.

"At the garage they get out of their vehicle to get inside to safety whilst they wait for the police."

The 31-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and criminal damage and has been released on police bail until Tuesday, March 26.

PC Keith Haywood said: "This was a frightening example of unacceptable driving and behaviour that left both the driver and the passenger of the Peugeot van in shock.

"I would like to hear from anyone who witnessed the manner of driving of these vehicles leading up to or during this incident and in particular anyone who witnessed the collisions."

Witnesses or anyone with any further information can contact PC Keith Haywood at Newport Police Station by phoning 101.

Mini-com users can contact 01962 875000. Information can be given anonymously by phoning the independent Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555 111.

View our Elgin Traffic & Travel Map
Travel News