Elderly evacuated after fire

By Emily Pearce

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

 

ELDERLY residents were evacuated from a sheltered housing complex on the Isle of Wight last night (Monday) following a fire.

Fire crews were called to Columbus House, in Sandown Road, Shanklin, shortly before 11.30pm, after an electrical main caught fire.

The two crews, from Sandown and Shanklin, used breathing apparatus and thermal imaging cameras to enter a lounge in the block of flats, which was heavily smoke logged.

The fire was extinguished around an hour later, and Southern Electric engineers were called to make sure the building's power supply was safe.

Reporter: emilyp@iwcpmail.co.uk

Facebook Icon Twitter Icon Delicious Icon

More News

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

Most Read

  1. Independent candidate selected despite drive ban

    Thursday, April 17, 2014

  2. Fears for 'missing' boy spark search

    Thursday, April 17, 2014

  3. Police appeal after Co-op incident

    Thursday, April 17, 2014

  4. Top doctors and nurses scoop awards

    Thursday, April 17, 2014

  5. Housing scheme recommended for approval

    Thursday, April 17, 2014

View our Elgin Traffic & Travel Map