FBU strike this week

By a County Press reporter

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

FIRE Brigades’ Union members on the Isle of Wight are to take part in a national strike tomorrow (Thursday), as part of the ongoing row over government changes to pensions and retirement.

A 24-hour strike is due to take place from 9am, followed by a seven-hour strike from 10am on Saturday.

Non-FBU members will attend life-critical incidents such as house fires or road traffic incidents as part of contingency arrangements put in place by the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service.

People should still dial 999 in an emergency as fire control will operate normally.

Chief fire officer Steve Apter said: "The strike action comes at a busy time for us here on the Island with the start of the Isle of Wight Festival but I’d like to reassure people that we have contingency plans in place to maintain fire cover, albeit at a reduced level."

Executive member for public safety Cllr Phil Jordan said: "I would ask people to be extra vigilant during the strikes as fire service responses will be limited."

A range of fire safety information for homes and businesses can be found at www.iwight.com/fire

Comments

by Ben Ridley

14th June 2014, at 19:56:50

May I also add that their is not enough money they could pay me to do those jobs, it's also because I know I wouldn't be up to it.

by Ben Ridley

14th June 2014, at 19:43:29

Not sure how nurses compare, but again never enough for the job they do, it's why I wasn't queuing up to do nursing or any other emergency service job / armed forces.

by Den Young

14th June 2014, at 19:27:35

would have thought they would have been queueing up, how does that compare with nurses etc, (im too old by the way)

by Den Young

14th June 2014, at 19:27:31

by Ben Ridley

14th June 2014, at 18:14:39

Hi Den

A very good wage I agree, and thoroughly deserved. My next question is when are you applying for a job with them?

by Den Young

14th June 2014, at 14:58:04

NJ that's not an answer that's a comment ,anyway according to google its nearly 600 a week basic without overtime and other jobs, retire at 55 with pension, not exactly poverty line, oh yeh and those guys choose to do it,

by neil jacks

14th June 2014, at 14:44:30

not enough

by Den Young

14th June 2014, at 12:05:49

so how much is a firepersons wage?

by neil jacks

14th June 2014, at 10:35:45

My dad is a retired fireman. He has a long and rather unspectacular career meaning he came home to me and mum after almost every shift other than when he was trapped by his ankle in a smoke filled building whilst attempting to rescue a fellow fireman. I also recall how he recalls having to break down doors in a house to save a young girl, sadly it was too late. My dad does have a good pension, that's true but so do I. I can take my pension at 55 same as he did. I will never see the things he saw over a twenty odd year career and when I sit behind my desk at the start of a days work, I know that come five o clock, I will be going home unscathed. These boys and girls are not on a massive wage, they are however all dedicated professional men and women who come the shout, would risk their lives to save yours.

by Tony Tiltman Jnr

14th June 2014, at 10:30:18

Totally agree Ben.

David what is so wrong in trying to protect what you've already got and and what is wrong in striving to improve your T&C's ?