Fears that sailbus could run aground

By Richard Wright

Friday, July 9, 2010

 

THE WIND has been taken out of the Cowes Week Sailbus.

The service, which had been subsidised by the Isle of Wight Council to ferry people between Park Road car park and the town, faces the axe.

Last year Southern Vectis stepped in to run the bus and charged fares. It had been a courtesy service when subsidised by the Isle of Wight Council.

But the company said the stop-gap measure proved less than satisfactory because people were unwilling to pay for journeys that had been free.

"It would be much better if Northwood House Trustees, who get revenue from the car park, were to add, perhaps, 50p to parking charges.

"That would pay us to run a shuttle, so that people would not have to pay on the bus," said Southern Vectis operations manager Marc Morgan Huws.

But a trustees’ spokesman said: "We are tasked with raising revenue to be used for the benefit of Northwood House and, much as we support the provision of Sailbus, the service would not raise revenue for our aim of saving the house.

"It would probably end up costing us money," the spokesman added.

Reporter: richardw@iwcpmail.co.uk

Facebook Icon Twitter Icon Delicious Icon

More News

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

Most Read

  1. Solent tunnel plans revealed

    Tuesday, November 25, 2014

  2. Wightlink announces changes

    Monday, November 24, 2014

  3. UKIP leader speaks out over Andrew Turner expenses

    Monday, November 24, 2014

  4. Britain's Got Talent comes to the Isle of Wight

    Tuesday, November 25, 2014

  5. Police investigate headbutt attack

    Tuesday, November 25, 2014

View our Elgin Traffic & Travel Map
Travel News Sponsor