Fewer smokers on the Island

By Martin Neville

Sunday, January 27, 2013

THE proportion of people on the Isle of Wight who smoke is below the national average.

Figures show around 18 per cent of Islanders smoke — 2.7 per cent lower than the rest of the country.

In his monthly report to the Isle of Wight Council this month, the cabinet member for public health, Cllr Dave Stewart, said: "Although in 2011 some 22 per cent of expectant mothers on the Island were smokers at the time of delivery, the trend is now clearly downward."

Reporter: martinn@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by Paul Strauss

30th January 2013, at 11:09:39

Well said Mr Wright!

by david wright

29th January 2013, at 18:24:16

@Paul Straus Paul 500% better is still being alive and able to breathe which is see as a whole lot better than the alternative.I thought the exceptional % an emphasis of improvement worth more than the possible embarrassment of apparent poor maths.

by Paul Strauss

28th January 2013, at 16:13:23

501% Mr Blackford!

by David Blackford

28th January 2013, at 15:48:32

Another very best thing about not smoking is that you don't have to stand outside in the rain, in draughty corners, with everyone giving you pitying looks.

by Paul Strauss

28th January 2013, at 15:36:46

500% better Mr Wright? Wow! I would have been happy that the chest infections cleared up, I had more money in my pocket and that my risk of serious diseases had reduced - I suppose that could be considered 100% better. So by my reckoning, on top of being more healthy and better off financially (100%), you must own a Ferrari (c200%), have multiple homes in fabulous locations around the world (now we're pushing 300% better), have a harem of Hollywood beauties (approx 400%) and been present at the SCG when England clinched the Ashes in 2011 (at least 500% better than life as a smoker). I wish I smoked, just so I could give up!

by david wright

28th January 2013, at 15:21:53

Hello doctor I keep getting headaches. Doctor says do you do anything that you think might contribute?Well Doctor said the man, I bang my head against the wall hard twenty times a day, do you think there is a connection? The doctor said try not banging your head against the wall and see how the headaches clear up. Do you see my point here?It doesnt take any thought?Yes i am an ex smoker,I saw the light after getting one chest infection after another, and after not smoking for 20 years life has been 500% better.

by Adnil Idrasul

28th January 2013, at 15:18:21

In the eyes of God, the pet shop boys are a sin. Not because of their homosexuality - God is inclusive of all, but because they are awful.

by augustus miller

28th January 2013, at 14:12:05

so adnil, was smoking the theme of the pet shop boys smash hit ? dont remember it stopping too many people back then ??

by Adnil Idrasul

28th January 2013, at 13:25:31

In the eyes of God, smoking is a sin.

by augustus miller