Fire at Cowes property

By a County Press reporter

Monday, February 24, 2014

 

UPDATED 16:50*

A TELEVISION caught fire at a house in Cowes this afternoon, according to Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service.

The Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service said it received the call to a residential building on Ward Avenue, Cowes, at 3.21pm.

At around 4.10pm a fire and rescue spokeswoman said residents had been evacuated and the Red Cross Emergency Support unit had been sent and along with an incident command unit.

*It is understood the homeowner attempted to tackle the fire, however evacuated the property after it spread.

Smoke and heat damage were caused to parts of the ground floor, however the fire was limited to one room.

Fifteen firefighters were involved in the operation and the fire was extinguished by 4.30pm.

Reporter: matthewm@iwcpmail.co.uk

Facebook Icon Twitter Icon Delicious Icon

More News

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

Most Read

  1. Independent candidate selected despite drive ban

    Thursday, April 17, 2014

  2. Fears for 'missing' boy spark search

    Thursday, April 17, 2014

  3. Police appeal after Co-op incident

    Thursday, April 17, 2014

  4. Top doctors and nurses scoop awards

    Thursday, April 17, 2014

  5. Housing scheme recommended for approval

    Thursday, April 17, 2014

View our Elgin Traffic & Travel Map