The fire at Marymead Close, Ryde. Picture by Jason Mark Harris.
A FIRE that ripped through a block of flats last week has been blamed on misuse of electrical equipment, following an investigation by the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service.
A fire investigation was launched following the blaze, which broke out at a block of flats in Marymead Close, Ryde, last Thursday.
This afternoon (Wednesday) fire and rescue service watch manager, James Lucy, confirmed the cause was misuse of electrical equipment in the loft, but declined to comment further.
Police meanwhile continue to investigate the circumstances of the fire and said last week they were keeping an open mind.
Flames and smoke engulfed the flats and part of the roof collapsed.
Anyone with information can contact police by phoning 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.