Flats evacuated after fire

By Richard Wright

Monday, July 15, 2013

 

UPDATED 16:37*

A BLOCK of Isle of Wight accommodation for people with mental health problems was evacuated this afternoon (Monday) after a fire in a bedroom.

Two fire appliances from Ryde and one from Sandown were called at 3.19pm to Sandham House at Fort Street, Sandown.

Firefighters said no-one was in the property when they arrived.

Sandham House is run by the Southern Housing Group. It provides support for residents who are encouraged to be as independent as possible.

*The fire was extinguished by 4pm.

Reporter: richardw@iwcpmail.co.uk

Facebook Icon Twitter Icon Delicious Icon

More News

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

Most Read

  1. Ferry bosses take up tea invitation

    Friday, August 29, 2014

  2. Man airlifted to hospital

    Friday, August 29, 2014

  3. High demand for maritime training opportunities

    Friday, August 29, 2014

  4. What's on this weekend

    Saturday, August 30, 2014

  5. Skating stars in ice tribute to Gemma

    Saturday, August 30, 2014

View our Elgin Traffic & Travel Map