Floating bridge gets right of way

By a County Press reporter

Friday, December 20, 2013

RIGHT of way has been given to the floating bridge that connects Cowes and East Cowes.

After a formal consultation period, a set of revised general directions from Cowes Harbour have been released.

The directions come into force on January 1, with the one major change being that the Cowes Chain Ferry has right of way over most other vessels.

New safety controls have also been introduced and the Harbour Commission has warned the chain ferry should still take care.

Comments

by Michael Douse

22nd December 2013, at 19:36:58

Paul I have never seen a Sally Taxi do as you suggest and I have found them all to be courteous both when Andy ran them and now Mark runs them.
BTW I hope the Harbour Master has suitable insurance to cover claims during RTI and Cowes Week from this decision.

by Paul Cox

20th December 2013, at 18:06:52

I launch my jet ski at Folly slip and travel up the river to the Solent. Whenever I approach the bridge I look out for them raising the front ramp (a sign they are about to get underway) and always stop and circle round while the bridge crosses. It amazes me though, how many yachts under engine power, not sail, simply drive straight across the front of the bridge like they own the sea. Thr river taxis as well never seem to give way to the bridge. Simply selfish, ignorant people.

by John Kneeshaw

20th December 2013, at 17:05:52

About bloomin time. Nothing more annoying than the FB having to give way to anything and everything.

by T Rollingsworth

20th December 2013, at 16:34:38

So it should do. Every other chain ferry in the UK has priority. As Colin said, they are fixed and can't move.

I'm sure the toffs in their mega yachts can wait 10 seconds!

by Colin Russell

20th December 2013, at 16:17:01

Not very nice lee, the right thing was done.

by Colin Russell

20th December 2013, at 13:17:25

Owning a boat myself, i do not know if lee does but i agree with him, as said when a river crossing goes from A to B via a "fixed link" ie chains, common sence tells you to give way unless you want to put your boat and life at risk and maybe people on the ferry.
I suggest Mr Emson goolgle marine right of way, be fore he comes on here spouting off, as it seems Mr Majors does know more common sense than you.