Gas leak sparks evacuation

By Abby Rugg

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

 

STAFF were evacuated from a hairdressers due to a gas leak at the weekend.

Southern Gas Networks engineers were called to St Thomas's Square, Ryde at 9.20am on Saturday and staff from Level, a hairdressers on the corner of the square, were evacuated as the leak was outside their premises.

Temporary traffic lights were placed around the site and the leak was repaired by 8pm.

The temporary traffic lights were due to be removed today (Tuesday).

Hannah Brett, spokeswoman for Southern Gas Networks, said: "We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused by this urgent repair work and thank everyone for their patience."

Reporter: abbyr@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

Log-in or register to comment on this story. See our House Rules here.

By ticking "Remember me" you agree to a cookie being stored on your computer - no personal data is shared.

Forgotten your password?

Any views or opinions presented in the comments above are solely those of the author and do not represent those of the Isle of Wight County Press.

Facebook Icon Twitter Icon Delicious Icon

More News

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

Most Read

  1. Wightlink cancels sailings

    Saturday, April 19, 2014

  2. Exchange team celebrates Record Store Day

    Friday, April 18, 2014

  3. Youth services to be run by volunteers?

    Friday, April 18, 2014

  4. Car blaze deliberate, say police

    Saturday, April 19, 2014

  5. Life-saving box ready for action

    Friday, April 18, 2014

View our Elgin Traffic & Travel Map