Gas leak sparks evacuation

By Abby Rugg

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

 

STAFF were evacuated from a hairdressers due to a gas leak at the weekend.

Southern Gas Networks engineers were called to St Thomas's Square, Ryde at 9.20am on Saturday and staff from Level, a hairdressers on the corner of the square, were evacuated as the leak was outside their premises.

Temporary traffic lights were placed around the site and the leak was repaired by 8pm.

The temporary traffic lights were due to be removed today (Tuesday).

Hannah Brett, spokeswoman for Southern Gas Networks, said: "We would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused by this urgent repair work and thank everyone for their patience."

Reporter: abbyr@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

Log-in or register to comment on this story. See our House Rules here.

By ticking "Remember me" you agree to a cookie being stored on your computer - no personal data is shared.

Forgotten your password?

Any views or opinions presented in the comments above are solely those of the author and do not represent those of the Isle of Wight County Press.

Facebook Icon Twitter Icon Delicious Icon

More News

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

Most Read

  1. Woman suffers serious injuries

    Wednesday, April 23, 2014

  2. Dairy ends milk processing after 30 years

    Wednesday, April 23, 2014

  3. Motorcyclist injured in crash

    Wednesday, April 23, 2014

  4. Hospital criticised after death of five year old

    Thursday, April 24, 2014

  5. Recommendations for ferry companies

    Thursday, April 24, 2014

View our Elgin Traffic & Travel Map