Hard times, good food

By Martin Neville

Saturday, December 28, 2013

Hard times, good food

Pupils with the war-time food.

YOUNG cooks from Bembridge Primary School staged their own great war-time bake-off.

Year 6 pupils challenged themselves by cooking war-time recipes as a fitting end to their Second World War project.

Class teacher Lindsey Stapeley said the children could now appreciate how difficult life was during rationing and how resourceful they had to be.

She said: "The school’s very own Mary Berry, Veronica Wastell, who helps in school and regularly bakes delicious cakes for the staff, judged the competition.

"She was happy to announce the fruit was evenly dispersed in the rock cakes with no soggy bottoms.

"The children have thoroughly enjoyed the topic and they have researched the impact of the Second World War on the Island, including finding out about PLUTO by visiting the heritage centre in Bembridge.

"They have been over to the D-day Museum in Portsmouth, as well as acting out the evacuation by walking down to the Methodist hall in Bembridge where the children had to be chosen by villagers."

Reporter: martinn@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

28th December 2013, at 16:49:48

The Yorkshire War Cry .......

'Ow mootch?'

by Don Prescott

28th December 2013, at 16:38:48

"being evacuated to Yorkshire "
eee! tha' nows.
"the children could now appreciate how difficult life was during rationing "
Yeah- right!

by David Blackford

28th December 2013, at 16:06:40

I just remember that my mum cooked up tasty food despite rationing - and like you said there were no fat people. I know it's a pretty grim thing to say, but I enjoyed the war. I had a collection of bullets & shrapnel etc. - even being evacuated to Yorkshire at the age of 7 was OK. I couldn't understand a word they said when I got there but when I came home again about 9 months later I had a strong Yorkshire accent.

28th December 2013, at 15:56:44

David the 'regular' things which crop up in discussion are Dried Egg, Walton Pie and the unfairness of the British Restaurants system.

by David Blackford

28th December 2013, at 14:29:42

I well remember spam fritters

28th December 2013, at 13:17:33

One of the illustrated ‘interest’ talks I give to groups and association meetings is “Food Rationing during World War II”. Why was their rationing? How did it come about when we had so much land under cultivation? When did it come in? When did rationing eventually end? Those in the audience who are old enough to remember it always add to the stories and examples I give, but those too young are amazed at the problems which had to be sorted out. For example, no nipping round to another shop if yours was out of butter or cheese, but if it was ‘rationed’ why wasn’t your ration there??????

Many people bring their Ration books and their Identity Cards to these talks, yes they still have them!

I quite often, after a talk, look around the shelves of the supermarket and smile to myself.

There was one great thing about Food Rationing. We were fit and you very rarely saw a fat or obese person about.