High street store returns to the Isle of Wight

By Martin Neville

Thursday, July 17, 2014

High street store returns to the Isle of Wight

Bonmarche is set to open a new Isle of Wight store in Newport, High Street.

A WOMEN’S clothing store is returning to the Isle of Wight.

Bonmarche previously had a shop in South Street, Newport, which closed around two years ago, but has announced plans to return to the town.

It has now taken on a ten-year lease of the former Internacionale store at 130 High Street at close to £80,000 per year, according to Daniells Harrison Chartered Surveyors, which completed the lease.

The store, which has a sales area of more than 3,000 sqft, is due to open in early August.

Reporter: martinn@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by roger mazillius

20th July 2014, at 23:14:14

Thanks TJ. It was one hell of a senior moment!

by Tony Tiltman Jnr

20th July 2014, at 17:44:58

Fair play Maz ..... and back at you my friend.

by roger mazillius

20th July 2014, at 17:11:17

OMG! I thought you were your son! Apologies TJ - still a pleasure!

by Tony Tiltman Jnr

20th July 2014, at 15:00:10

I was that councillor Roger.

by roger mazillius

20th July 2014, at 12:23:18

Sorry TJ, I did not mean to say your dad had driven down the dark tunnel, just remembering my memories of him when we served as Councillors at the same time (2001/02)!

by Tony Tiltman Jnr

20th July 2014, at 06:47:33

He hasn't joined that great Footplate in the sky yet Maz. I think he must be the last Steam driver surviving on the Island though.

by roger mazillius

19th July 2014, at 20:04:17

Thanks TJ. I remember your Dad with much pleasant nostalgia!

by Tony Tiltman Jnr

19th July 2014, at 09:23:18

Maz such extravagance 3 pr of pants ,7 prs of socks, and 2 large coffees with refills. Greed is a terrible thing......... seriously enjoy your retirement fella.

by roger mazillius

18th July 2014, at 21:12:44

I never knew you were such a cynic Peter! Actually, in my retirement I am finding the shopping experience quite interesting. Last week in Sainsburys saw a 42" 1080 LED, smart, freeview, 3d Blaupunkt flatscreen for £249.99 so bought it! Brilliant picture and just in time for the kick-off!
What price it would have been in Asda, I know not but I don't think it would have been cheaper!
Clothing, bought three pairs of mens pants for £12 at M & S and 7 pairs of socks for £12. From the male point of view, who needs a Bon Marche! Cheers!
PS Two large coffees at Wetherspoons for £2.30 plus free re-fills - who needs Costa and the other rip off merchants!

by Peter Humber

18th July 2014, at 19:19:49

I agree Roger, not very professional of DHCS to discloses Ts&C's on a contract. (If they really did)
On another point £ 80K + All other expenses to run a shop in Newport High Street is disgraceful in my opinion, Greedy Estate Agents and Landlords of the world unite, together they will kill of our towns, and people wonder the High Street is doomed?
A warehouse and office for an internet business operating here would be less than a quarter of these figures.
Clothes are of course high margin sales, unlike Electronic and Electrical goods, which is clearly why the choice of shops is dwindling, Coffee shops and Womens Clothes shops, high Margin repeat business stores.
On a positive note, at least it saves us men having to go the high street eh Roger?