Hundreds helped by foodbank

By a County Press reporter

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

HUNDREDS of people were helped by the Isle of Wight Foodbank over Christmas, latest figures have shown.

The foodbank said it provided food for 560 people during December, helping to prevent family breakdown, housing loss, crime and mental health problems.

On Saturday a nearly new clothing and furniture sale is to be held at the foodbank, on Somerton Industrial Estate, between 10am and 1pm.

Items on sale include low cost new school uniforms, clothes and furniture and there will be a chance for people to drop off donations to the self-funded cause.

Donations can also be left at any time in the textile bins outside the headquarters and sites around the Isle of Wight.

Comments

by Michael Jackson

24th January 2013, at 10:45:37

Aologies if it seemed I was having a go at the Food Bank

by Michael Jackson

24th January 2013, at 10:44:18

Don't get me wrong,I support the Food Bank and donate food money etc.I was pointing out that the system needfs tightening as there are people who abuse the good will of others.

by Jacqueline Chambers

24th January 2013, at 08:24:13

I donate to the foodbank, but since reading these comments I not too sure. Why are people like this? If we stop donating the real needy will suffer...again! What is going on in the minds of certain individuals? Makes me mad!!!

by Michael Jackson

24th January 2013, at 08:07:11

"having her hair done"

by Michael Jackson

24th January 2013, at 08:06:28

There are no checks to prove people need the services of the Food Bank.Vouchers are issued at the drop of a hat.There are many cases on the Island where underserving people have got vouchers.e.g the woman who had spent £38 having her done then got a voucher,the man who got 9 vouchers spread over a period of time and sold the food for booze.

by Stephen Elliott

23rd January 2013, at 23:09:32

This is disgusting in modern Britain, the rich should be ashamed!!!