Independents set sights on Parliament

By Richard Wright

Saturday, January 18, 2014

THE Island Independents are looking for a candidate to stand as an MP after taking control in County Hall.

The Association of Island Independents, which was formed last year, will advertise for candidates to go through the selection process in February. Peter Whiteman, a former Newport parish councillor, said: "Due to the interest in the Island Independents, a number of people asked if we had given a thought to looking for a candidate to stand as the MP for the Island."

The association was formed after the success of Independents at last year’s local elections.

Its role is to support Independent members of the Isle of Wight Council and town and parish councils.

The association is made up of a number of people from across the Island, including prominent former councillors, interested in the success of the first Independent Isle of Wight Council.

An open meeting will be held at the Parish Centre, Town Lane, Newport, on February 7, at 6pm.

Everybody is welcome and the speaker will be Cllr Ian Stephens, the leader of the Isle of Wight Council.

Reporter: richardw@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by James McAdder

20th January 2014, at 07:26:36

MRLP?

Don't they call themselves UKIP, now?

by Valerie Ching

20th January 2014, at 03:47:54

I cannot understand these Independents being a group (party) and then selecting a candidate. An independent in my book is by definition one person (an independent) of all parties. Are these independents in fact returning to the Island First (IF) party. The sort of independent I remember in a group were candidates for small parties like the Monster Raving Loony Party whose manifesto was I believe that it had no policies. I think at least one MRLP candidate won a seat on a council in Devon. And before you ask, no, you may consider me qualified to join them, (MRLPs) but I will now shut up on this topic as I am not prepared to put up!

by Den Young

19th January 2014, at 11:33:01

no John I was referring to our MP

by Colin Russell

19th January 2014, at 06:57:48

Don,t hold your breath to long Mr Mazillius, an ash tray on a motor bike has more chance,
Your trouble since being voted out ,,or retired ,, or whatever is you have to much time on your hands.

by roger mazillius

18th January 2014, at 17:55:32

Is there really an outstanding Independent person out there?
Perhaps Ms Dennett, who is more a Socialist than an Independent and who is most certainly not a Conservative will end her ludicrously long engagement (14 years and counting) with the MP and branch out as her own woman to meet this demand?
"Sorry darling, but I have had so much practice in the last many years, that I think I could do a better job".
Holding my breath!

by Liam Thom

18th January 2014, at 17:20:35

Too afraid to stand as Lib Dems perhaps?

by Den Young

18th January 2014, at 17:00:10

sorry Don its only my interpretation, so no I don't think its harsh.

by Don Prescott

18th January 2014, at 16:49:23

Den,

although AT and I do not see eye to eye on many issues, I think

"the waste of space we have looking after our interests now"
is a bit harsh.

by Den Young

18th January 2014, at 15:21:21

well here we are, a prime chance for one of you scribes that professes to have all the answers to prove it and get shot of the waste of space we have looking after our interests now, but of course you would have to stand under your real name.

by James McAdder

18th January 2014, at 15:15:46

They need to get their fingers out and start proving their worth, then.

Not much sign of that, so far.