Island Lib Dem peer steps down and says party is heading for disaster under Clegg

By David Newble

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Lord Matthew Oakeshott, who has resigned from the Liberal Democrats. Picture by Peter Boam.

A SENIOR Liberal Democrat peer, Lord Matthew Oakeshott, who has a home on the Isle of Wight, has quit the party warning it is heading for disaster under Nick Clegg’s leadership.

Lord Oakeshott of Seagrove Bay, a friend of business secretary Vince Cable, said the party had lost its roots, principles and values. He quit following the disastrous showing by the Lib Dems in both local council and European elections.

In a statement he said: "I am today taking leave of absence from the House of Lords and resigning as a member of the Liberal Democrats.

"I am sure the party is heading for disaster if it keeps Nick Clegg and I must not get in the way of the many brave Liberal Democrats fighting for change."

He said he left with a heavy heart, after helping to found the party in 1981.

*Lord Oakeshott was vice-president of the Isle of Wight Liberal Democrats until his resignation.

"I am so sorry I have upset and embarrassed my old friend Vince Cable and that we were not able to talk before he issued yesterday’s statement from China."

He said his decision followed polls he had commissioned in several constituencies, in which people were asked about the leadership of the Liberal Democrats.

He said: "The combined message of these five professional and reputable ICM constituency polls, Nick Clegg’s dire approval ratings year after year in all national polls and Thursday’s appalling council and European election results is crystal clear; we must change the leader to give Liberal Democrat MPs their best chance to win in 2015."

He added: "A few stout hearted MPs and peers and hundreds, maybe soon thousands, of candidates, councillors and Lib Dem members all over Britain are now fighting constituency by constituency for a leadership election. I have tried to give them the evidence they need to make the change.

"I pray they win, and that the right man, or preferably woman, is now elected to save the party."

Reporter: davidn@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by IWCP Online

30th May 2014, at 08:30:08

@Harry Dover. The story was based on a public statement issued by Lord Oakeshott. The same statement was used by all media that covered this story and we made it clear that his comments came from a statement, not an interview. Ross

by IWCP Online

30th May 2014, at 08:22:52

@Harry Dover. Thank you for your feedback on the story. Lord Oakeshott was a senior figure in the IW Lib Dems until his resignation. We have had added extra detail to the story to make this clear. You'll find reaction from IW Lib Dem councillor Reg Barry in today's IWCP. Ross Findon (web editor).

by Colin Barton

29th May 2014, at 20:01:17

Sooner the libbys go the better,we can then move forward

by roger mazillius

29th May 2014, at 19:04:53

Thanks Hazel. First class!

by hazel wyld

29th May 2014, at 18:52:18

Paranoid? I have actually met Mr Turner on a mere four occasions, however i will always leap to the defence of anyone whose private life is considered a subject for debate..even yours Roger, I suppose as far as Nick Clegg is concerned it is always the way to find a scapegoat, Margaret Thatcher, Gordon Brown, politics is a nasty game. ..however now the dust has settled the Lib/Debs seem to have pulled themselves together. I am equally sure that once they joined forces with the conservatives, a lot of their members felt they had been sold down the river, i daresay it would have been the same if they had aligned themselves to the labour party as they were being urged to do..lets hope the next election is a landslide for whichever party is unfortunate enough to win!

by roger mazillius

29th May 2014, at 17:16:53

Thank you Hazel. I too feel sorry for Nick C.as I pointed out in my first posting now surprisingly completely deleted by Ross. I say surprisingly because my first comments were completely relevant to the thread!
I fail to see the relevance of WH to this thread or indeed, now that my Turner comments have been deleted as being irrelevant to the thread subject, your continued reference to him. So it is not me but you who seem, how shall I put this, rather paranoid about "protecting" him from any criticism or public comment about his unusual engagement.
Still if it gives you personal satisfaction to bang on about cabals and the like which of course, particularly under Ross's ruling, is not relevant to this thread, then go on and enjoy yourself!

by Jim Buchanan

29th May 2014, at 17:00:46

I know someone who lives many miles away from here, but did once visit the Island as a child... if you like I can call him to see what his views are on Scotland's Independence.
Could be a story in it for the CP

by hazel wyld

29th May 2014, at 11:11:21

Now for what it is worth I feel a bit sorry for Nick Clegg, clearly back stabbing is not confined to the other parties! I believe the vote for UKIP is a warning shot over the bows for most voters..sort of kick up the backside and a reminder we voted you in and we can vote you out, hope anyway I am right on this one and a final word to my old opponent Roger (Remember Westminster House?) do not keep harping on about Andrew Turner or you really will end up sounding like part of that cabal of disgruntled tories who having failed to unseat him not are settling for personal abuse, I really became quite fond of you in our debates so sad to see you resort to this sort of personal tripe.

by roger mazillius

29th May 2014, at 10:56:15

Oh well - it was good while it lasted but a funny way to censor a P.R. matter relating to a public figure. Would the same censorship have applied in a national newspaper - I doubt it!

by David Blackford