A MINISTERIAL visit to address the issue of surplus places at Isle of Wight schools has been postponed after yesterday's (Tuesday) cabinet reshuffle, in which Michael Gove was replaced as education secretary.
Lord Nash, parliamentary under secretary of state for schools, David Laws, the minister for schools, and Edward Timpson, the minister for children and families, were due to visit the Island tomorrow.
Plans for the visit had been confirmed in a letter from Mr Gove to Isle of Wight Council Conservative group education spokesman Cllr Chris Whitehouse. Cllr Whitehouse confirmed last night (Tuesday) this week's visit would now not be going ahead.
Cllr Whitehouse, who described Mr Gove's move to become government chief whip as a promotion, said: "It's a real shame the visit has been postponed, but these things happen in politics and it is quite understandable that the new secretary of state, Nicky Morgan, wants to get to grips with her policy area and have meetings with her ministerial team.
"I'm sure the change at the top won't lead to any fundamental change in policy or cause the ministers to take their eyes off our Island schools."
He welcomed the appointment of Mr Gove's replacement Nicky Morgan's and said: "Her rapid rise to the Cabinet has been well earned and I look forward to continuing to work with her to drive up standards in our Island schools.
"She is also a committed Christian, so I am confident she'll want to work with Christ the King College to achieve its full potential by helping identify and remove barriers to its further progress."