Island starts to settle after storm

By Emily Pearce

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Island starts to settle after storm

Fire crews pump water from properties at Ryde Esplanade.

UPDATED 11.45*

ROADS are starting to reopen across the Isle of Wight this afternoon (Tuesday) following last night's storm.

As reported, heavy rain and gale force winds last night and early this morning caused widespread flooding and storm damage across the Island.

There were hundreds of calls to the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service and Island Roads, after roads were blocked due to fallen trees, power lines and landslips.

Homes and businesses across the Island were flooded, with properties in the Monktonmead area of Ryde, Carisbrooke and Pan being particularly badly hit. There was severe flooding in Whitwell, when the Eastern Yar burst its banks, and the railway tunnel at Ryde was completely submerged.

The situation started to return to return to normal this afternoon.

St Georges Way, Newport, Beaper Shute and West Lane, Brading, Blackwater Road, Green Lane, Ashey, Lea Road, Lake, and Main Road, Rookley, have all reopened, according to Island Roads.

Other roads are expected to reopen soon.

However, the Woodland Walk at the Isle of Wight Crematorium will remain closed over the Christmas period, after suffering storm damage, and the Ponda Rosa pub, Ashey, will remain closed on Christmas Day and Boxing Day due to flooding.

Police urged drivers to be careful as there was still a lot of surface water on the roads, and warned people not to drive through floodwater.

Further bad weather is expected on Friday.

*Updated 20.45 A flood warning has been issued tonight (Tuesday) for the Eastern Yar. According to the Environment Agency, flooding is expected in Sandown, Yaverland, Yarbridge, Brading and Bembridge. Ther warning remains in place until 11am tomorrow.

Several roads remain closed tonight, including Briddlesford Road, Merstone Lane, Main Road, Havenstreet, Rectory Lane and Snowdrop Lane, Gatcombe, Sandy Lane, Blackwater, Morton Common, Brading, and Rill Lane, Chillerton. Newchurch and Langbridge remain flooded, but are passable with care.

*Updated 11.45 The flood warning for the Eastern Yar has been extended until 11am tomorrow (Friday), and now includes Langbridge and Alverstone. According to the Environment Agency, water has been unable to drain away following continued rainfall and properties remain at risk of flooding through to the weekend.

Has your home or business flooded over Christmas? Call the County Press newsdesk, on 522210, from 8am tomorrow, or email Emily Pearce at the address below.

Reporter: emilyp@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by Robert Kemball

29th December 2013, at 15:50:00

All of us here at …………………. feel for you, we have been dealing with insurance claims on the Island for over 25 years and this is one of the worst incidents we have had to deal with. All my staff have given up their Christmas to help out as many families as we can and deal with each insurance claim as they came into our offices.
For those that have started clearing up themselves, if you can, take photographs of each item, failing this, of the affected room, and list as many of the items disposed of as you can. By doing this, this will not only help your insurance claim, but speed up the process of settling your claim.

26th December 2013, at 12:14:53

The pair of houses opposite mine flooded 4 times in the first 16 years I was in my house. I was alright Jack as the my house is higher, 'I was alright Jack', BUT, as a parent, I couldn't bear to see the children with wet socks and crying. Therefore they would come into our house for as long as we could help.

By did houses well above the main water level flood? "The lay of the land" these houses were in a pocket and it was only after I videoed the flood and showed it to both the Council and the Water Board that they could see what the problem was and how to rectify it.

If anybody has been flooded, then if they can, look to see where the water is coming from. Not a silly statement. See what the catchment area is, in our case it's the hotels and roadway at the back of them on the Cliff Path past Lake Railway Station. It was rectified by altering the road surface.

Not flooded since :-)

As David says, my heart goes out as well

by David Blackford

26th December 2013, at 08:14:26

My heart goes out to everyone who has been flooded

by Adam Palfrey

26th December 2013, at 00:36:31

Lee, yes, in 1961.

by Bruce Harrison

25th December 2013, at 22:03:27

Adam and Neil your comments ring true. The Fire Brigade could not get to us either except to say we would be safest to stay upstairs that night. At that stage we had light but it tripped out an hour or so later. Our insurance company did not get back to us despite their promises and closed at 1pm yesterday. I am willing to try and help myself but I am 65 and my partner has fibromyalgia and so we can't cope with it completely. Fortunately we have a relatives house to stay in till the insurance company opens on 27th. Thank goodness we don't have to explain to small children why they have no presents.

by Bruce Harrison

25th December 2013, at 21:55:54

by Adam Palfrey

25th December 2013, at 21:07:16

Our house in Caesars Road was one of those affected. We woke up at 5am to screams, flashing blue lights and about 2 foot of water rushing past outside. We panicked and tried to save all that we could before it came up through the floors. We then had to wait for it to subside so myself, my partner and our 3 children could evacuate.
We lost a lot of our possessions. But the part that really saddened me was not being able to spend Christmas in our home.
No idea when we will be able to go back. I suspect the five of us have months of sofa-surfing ahead.

As for anyone who thinks 6 inches of water isn't that much, I challenge you to try pumping it in to your house at night, turning the power off and seeing what happens.

by Bruce Harrison

25th December 2013, at 18:44:54

Believe me it is no joke at any time of year but maybe christmas adds poignancy. A house flooding is devastating, Helplessly watching the "tide" of water swamp the floor and then ebb leaving the wet dirty slurry behind it is truly awful. It looks even worse in the waking hours with no electricity).Knowing it will take 4 months (it did last time) to dry and then two months to restore whilst living in rented accommodation is not a fun adventure. Yes, the insurance MAY cover it but the fact remains the home you created has gone. So Steve, if it was your brother he would need to do a bit more than stay with you for a few days while it dried out. And Neil my hertfelt sympathy to your brother and his family. Not because it's Xmas but because we know what they are going thru.

by Steve Smith

25th December 2013, at 06:02:51

Lee, so sad, even at Christmas,
You don't understand much about aid do you? A few hours, maybe days of discomfort is nothing compared to months, years others have to endure.

You asked me if I was helping Neil's brother, I don't think he needs my help, I would expect family, friends and neighbours to help out in the first instance. If it was my brother, he would be staying with me over Christmas while his flat was dried out.

Front page news you say, where? In war torn Syria? How about Haiti, where they still haven't recovered from the earthquake 3 years ago.

Anyway Merry Christmas to all, especially those out trying to fix all the problems these storms have caused, I'm off to play Santa before the kids wake up.

by Keith Hunnybun

24th December 2013, at 23:46:37

Lee, you seriously are words that cannot be put on this site! Well done to all the people that have actually done something to help people that have had problems and take no notice of the IWCP Troll.