Isle of Wight Festival: Licence to continue

By Ross Findon

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

 

Isle of Wight Festival: Licence to continue

Revellers at the Isle of Wight Festival this year.

WITH TWEETS VIA STORIFY

THE ISLE of Wight Festival will continue at its current site after a hearing into its licence concluded this afternoon (Tuesday).

Councillors on the regulatory committee had been considering an application by GKN that the event's licence should be reviewed because of this year's disruption — prompting festival organiser John Giddings to warn that he had a mainland site lined up if the licence was revoked.

Following almost two days of evidence the Isle of Wight Council regulatory committee concluded that shortening the length of the event's indefinite licence would be disproportionate.

It ruled however that festival organisers Solo must publish a public document based on the Event Safety and Operational Plan and traffic management plan for future events.

No changes were made to the festival's 90,000 capacity.

Festival boss John Giddings described the decision as a victory for common sense.

GKN representative Sarah McArthy-Fry said they were pleased by the committee's decision to call for traffic management details to be published.

Click here to see our report of the first day of the hearing.

• Following the licencing hearing the Isle of Wight Festival organisers said the first 2013 line-up announcement will be made on Monday, November 26. They posted on Twitter :"Now all the serious stuff is out of the way, let's get on with fun stuff."

Comments

Log-in or register to comment on this story. See our House Rules here.

By ticking "Remember me" you agree to a cookie being stored on your computer - no personal data is shared.

Forgotten your password?

Log-in to Report

by Richard Taylor

21st November 2012, at 09:20:52

I like the 'no car' idea as well. Bit like the 70s festival when no one had or could afford the cars like today - no huge traffic problems then I remember.

Log-in to Report

by Richard Brown

20th November 2012, at 22:45:51

I'm amazed when the nay Sayers claim that the festival brings nothing to the Island. The two major festivals bring 100,000 people to the Island every year. These youngsters are the families of the future. If only 1 in 100 are entranced by our beautiful beaches and countryside and come back for future holidays, that's several thousand a year. (I love your transport suggestion Jim)

Log-in to Report

by Warren Copland

20th November 2012, at 19:10:28

This is absolute the right decision, I think we should keep it for as long as we can. I travel all over the country for my job and when colleagues ask where I live, a huge majority talk about the Isle of Wight Festival or the Bestival, either that they have been or want to go. This puts the Island on the map and I am proud that it is here. I understand that it does cause disruption, it is not best thing in the world when you are queueing for the Red Jet and you are about a mile away from the terminal. However it is important to embrace all of this, I am sure when the tennis is on at Wimbledon it brings the borough to an absolute standstill but they embrace it and I think we should all embrace the Festival too.

Log-in to Report

by Emma Gee

20th November 2012, at 18:55:51

It would seem I am of a minority but Is anybody else at all bothered that the council has given Giddings licence to take over everything from Newport to Whippingham for the time It takes to set up/ take down (roughly a month)
Please Mr Giddings take your festival to the mainland, not everybody Is happy for the festival to be on their doorstep.

Log-in to Report

by Dave Dawson

20th November 2012, at 18:15:43

No surprise to hear that Giddings threatened to throw all his toys out of his pram by saying he had an alternative mainland site lined up.

Go ahead Giddings you know that the restrictions and costs associated with the mainland site would almost certainly impact his massive profits.

John Giddings should grow up and negotiate with his neighbors and the council rather than to try and bully them.

Love the idea of a no car festival Jim

Log-in to Report

by Jim Buchanan

20th November 2012, at 17:06:32

Here's a thought... make it a no car event. People coming to the festival have to use fleets of coaches, buses etc to get to and from the festival site. This would be a much greener option and then there are no parking issues or traffic chaos. Bus chaos could also be managed by creating a booking system of ferry & coach times combined for all tickets, ie everyone has a seat booked at a certain time. This way arrivals are staggered throughout the day/evening and you avoid having 25,000 people all turning up at once. Holding the festival in West Wight would just move the problem of traffic chaos to a different part of the Island... and guess what? People live and work out there too, and there is far less infrastucture in terms of shops etc for many thousands of festival goers to get essentials from. So either keep it where it is and ban cars, or let the guys at Robin Hill run the Festival as well as Bestival. They seem to know what they are doing.

Log-in to Report

by Mike Knowles

20th November 2012, at 15:55:24

It undoubtedly causes delivery and inter site transportation issues for GKN. It also causes staffing issues due to the high quantity of holiday requests on the Friday and the Monday. However given that this is an annual event for only two impacting days a year, with planning they can and have operated around it.

Any views or opinions presented in the comments above are solely those of the author and do not represent those of the Isle of Wight County Press.

View our Elgin Traffic & Travel Map