Jobs to go at Isle of Wight firm

By Emily Pearce

Thursday, December 6, 2012

REDUNDANCIES are to be made at Gurit UK, the Isle of Wight-based company confirmed this week.

The outlook for the firm's automotive arm remained positive, added the spokesman.

Gurit UK, based at St Cross Business Park, Newport, is a leading developer and manufacturer of composite materials.

Reporter: emilyp@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by Russell Palin

8th December 2012, at 11:03:38

I presume I am not allowed to say ****bria so I will now say somewhere in the Lake district instead, lol.

by Russell Palin

8th December 2012, at 11:01:55

When I first noticed wind farms in ****bria and Scotland, also further afield in Spain, Switzerland, Germany and Austria, whilst doing my "grand tour" in the 90's.
Never did I imagine they would lead to such a row.
I don't mind the wind farms, but lots of my Island friends hate them. Because of this I would never vote for wind farms on the Island, out of respect for their wishes.
Sadly firms like Gurit UK suffer the consiquences.
I must admit I am surpriosed the government were not more forceful in the placement of wind farms, like they have been with smoking, housing, new roads and immigration, to name a few. You know what I mean, so many wind turbines per County.

7th December 2012, at 16:35:16

As you say John, all things come to an end. I was involve with ship and boat building in the 50's, 60's and 70's. Over 3000 were employed at J S Whites in the 50's. Where is that trade now? Gone. 'Hire and Fire' according to the workload/contract has been in for years. No different now. If you are a 'worker' you will get work, BUT, on the Isle of Wight it is a case of 'who you know' in a lot of instances, Golf Club, Pub, Fotball/Cricket Club, Socialising ........................

by John Ward

7th December 2012, at 16:23:36

Yes a decline on wind energy in brazil which is where the product we made went to. Nothing to do with IOW or even UK. All things come to an end and sadly it will affect a few of my colleagues.

by Don Prescott

7th December 2012, at 15:37:15

What can't speak can't lie:

"A spokesman blamed the job losses on a decline in the wind energy market, but refused to say how many jobs were going or when redundancies would be made."

That quote is from the renewable energy/Ecoisland/green energy biased County Press.

So you're blaming me????

And your reason is???

by John Ward

7th December 2012, at 15:15:05

@don Prescott Gurit don't do wind turbines! Never had and I don't suppose ever will. They make carbon fabric that is used for the making of turbines, were they really meant to ignore the market?

by John Kneeshaw

7th December 2012, at 13:39:43

The 5 turbine wind farm near to my mothers home in Yorkshire is 91% efficient. I have long been aware that there is a better quality of human being in Yorkshire, but I assume that the wind is the same as everywhere else. (Except of course at the birthplace and epicentre of NIMBYism, the IW).

by Don Prescott

7th December 2012, at 13:19:25

@ Mike, John and others.
Trying to have a debate with these people is like talking to the pantomime horse.

No matter how many facts that you put in front of them, e.g.:

Wind turbines only produce around 25% of installed capacity, which is even acknowledged by BWEA, they say:

"Oh No they don't"

Fortunately the wind proponents are now in such disarray, they are now just made up of cranks and those who either are making, or those who hope to make, shedloads of money, who meet regularly in Gurnard and elsewhere, to discuss "how to get the message across".

The government has given Ed Davey a toy to play with, £2 billion for Ugandan wind farms, but in return the Lib Dumbs agree to shale gas as the way forward.

Gurit should now concentrate on their core marine market and stop p***ing about with wind turbines.

by Graeme Egerton

7th December 2012, at 13:17:31

by Stephen Elliott

7th December 2012, at 12:49:03

As for Gurit, the people "losing" jobs are those on temporary contracts not permanent staff and they leave after Christmas, it sucks and I feel sorry for them with this added stress, but you can guarantee that one thing is for sure, Gurit will take on more after xmas