Jobs to go at Isle of Wight schools

By Matthew Mckew

Thursday, February 6, 2014

A TOTAL of 35 compulsory redundancies are to be made at the three schools run by the Island Innovation Trust, in a bid to balance the books.

Carisbrooke College, Medina College and the Island Innovation VI Form Campus, are all set to lose staff.

The job losses are in addition to a voluntary redundancy scheme, through which it is believed nearly 30 staff are to leave.

Nine teaching posts are believed to be going in total, including two through compulsory redundancy.

Most compulsory redundancies are among support staff, where 33 jobs will be lost.

A campaign has been mounted by students to retain the staff and by yesterday 100 students had signed it.

Trust chair of governors, Terence Hart said: "Our overriding aim is to create a sound financial platform for continuing improvement in the quality of teaching and learning across both colleges and the VI Form, and build on the good progress that we have made so far."

He added that although the voluntary redundancy scheme had gone some way to helping, further savings need to be achieved.

Public service union Unison branch secretary Mark Chiverton said he understood Carisbrooke College has to save £580,000 and Medina College £304,000, both by 2016. The savings are required to offset falling student numbers.

He said there had been 21 voluntary redundancies at Carisbrooke College, including seven teachers, and a further seven support staff and one part-time post at Medina College.

"It’s bound to have major implications for the workforce and the delivery of the curriculum.

"It is very disproportionate, massively affecting support staff, many of whom are on low pay."

Students from across all three campuses have signed a petition against the cuts.

Addressed to Emma Shambrook, the clerk to the governing body, it said: "We, as the student body, cannot allow the redundancies to take place across the three campuses. We are urging you to please reconsider your decision, by taking into account the impact it will have on the students at the three campuses."

Reporter: matthewm@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by Keven Ball

9th February 2014, at 19:53:38

Hi Peter, there are no secrets to any of my posts my old son?
I will take it from your post you back teachers and staff to stay at the school and you oppose with them being sacked? Do you feel they need to improve standards or are you happy with the current schooling systems in place?

by Peter Jeffery

9th February 2014, at 19:36:31

Keven

I forgot the recent 'secret' to your posts,

In my post below, when I said,

"""""""Support teachers and teaching assistants and oppose all attempts to dismantle the current system.

It's time to stand up and be counted. """""""

Clearly, I meant sack 35 of them.

It seems 'stick to the topic' is your fallback position, unless you want to dish out personal abuse regardless of the topic.

You know what they say, " If you can't take it, then don't give it " !

by Keven Ball

9th February 2014, at 19:03:29

Hi Peter just to remind you of the article title "Jobs to go at Isle of Wight schools". In case you cannot see it? Do you think jobs should be saved or not in schools and why?

by Peter Jeffery

9th February 2014, at 18:28:48

Keven

To paraphrase one of your recent posts to I think M Crowe,

Get your glasses and read my post you replied to ?

by Keven Ball

9th February 2014, at 17:30:43

Thanks for the kinds words Peter and I am glad you enjoy my posts. Do you back the jobs going or not?

by Peter Jeffery

9th February 2014, at 11:54:58

Keven

You've got me there old son. Sarcasm and irony are complete mysteries to a dullard like me, especially when you use such skill to make your post look like your honest opinion :-

by Keven Ball
7th February 2014, at 16:14:46
The best unions are schools ones such as NUT! I am unsure about the rest of the unions in other job areas?

A masterpiece ! It does help us greatly in deciphering all your other posts on this site, now that we all know the secret.

What you write is the exact opposite of what you think, simples !

by Keven Ball

8th February 2014, at 20:41:49

HI Peter, I take it sarcasm and irony do no mean much to you?
teachers strike yearly and it is quite boring now. Their pay and work conditions are not that bad - I know I have been a teacher in the past. Do you back/support the strike action and why?

As for the teaching assistants, I said I back them to stay, as they do very good work...?

by Peter Jeffery

8th February 2014, at 20:17:38

Keven
So why are you accusing teachers of striking 2-3 days a year as part of their job description, at the same time as saying the NUT is a reallly good union.

It's time to stand up and be counted.

by Keven Ball

8th February 2014, at 17:27:29

Marie

The government are planning to scarp teaching assistants in the future altogether! I hope they do not as they play a very important role in schools and colleges.

by Marie Cheverton

8th February 2014, at 11:56:18

HTP are not out sourcing, as previously remarked on they are doing the training in house.