Advertisement
Advertisement

Law Centre chair fears further funding cuts and signs up to Fight for the Wight

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 - 11:26

LAW Centre chairman Roger Craven has backed the Fight for the Wight campaign, warning the lifeline legal advice service could be closed if its funding was cut.
Unless the government agrees to provide more money for public services, the Isle of Wight Council will be left with little choice but to slash the Supporting People budget, which funds services for some of the Isle of Wight's most vulnerable people.
It is the main source of income for the Isle of Wight Law Centre, a non-profit organisation that provides free legal advice for those who cannot afford it.
Mr Craven, who ho has signed the Fight for the Wight petition, said the service was threatened with closure next year if its funding was reduced or axed altogether.
He said: "All our clients are vulnerable people, sometimes homeless, often with children, on transitional benefits and facing eviction.
"The council has so far continued to award us Supporting People funding, but we know the funding situation is bad. We have already reduced our costs my making redundancies and reducing staff pay, but we can't go on like that.
"We are facing a doomsday situation.
"It's not just us, there are many organisations in the same boat — the Women's Refuge, the Citizens Advice Bureau.
"We have got to fight."
You can sign up to Fight for the Wight here.

 


Advertisement
ISLE OF WIGHT TRAVEL
Travel filler
ISLE OF WIGHT WEATHER

Now7℃

18:00

6℃

21:00

5℃

00:00

5℃

03:00

5℃

ISLE OF WIGHT TRAVEL
Travel filler
ISLE OF WIGHT WEATHER

Now7℃

18:00

6℃

21:00

5℃

00:00

5℃

03:00

5℃

ISLE OF WIGHT TRAVEL
Travel filler