Low turnout for police election

By Emily Pearce

Friday, November 16, 2012

JUST 14.3 per cent of Islanders went to the polls yesterday (Thursday) to vote for the new Hampshire and Isle of Wight police and crime commissioner.

It was well below the Electoral Reform Society predicted national turnout of 18.5 per cent. Out of 111,126 eligible voters on the Isle of Wight, only 15,858 ballot papers were received according to the Isle of Wight Council.

Votes are being counted at Medina Leisure Centre today (Friday), and the result of the election is expected to be announced by 2pm.

As previously reported, the winning candidate will be elected for a four-year term to oversee policing and community safety in the two counties, decide how budgets are spent and hold the chief constable to account over police performance.

Reporter: emilyp@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

17th November 2012, at 17:23:08

Will it make any difference to how the police work?

Or will they still be just as bombastic and give you the feeling that 'You are guilty until you prove yourself innocent'?

Will they still sit in the comfort of their van with a zap gun waiting for the motorist to commit a crime instead of getting off their backsides and solving a crime?

Funny how none of the stuff I had pinched from my garage has ever been recovered, in yet they find time to sit zapping motorists

by david walker

17th November 2012, at 11:46:46

Only candidate I heard anything about was the one being investigated for fraud. Whole thing was a farce. So didn't vote.

by Stephen Elliott

16th November 2012, at 22:38:17

Here's some points.
1. Politicians control the police (Home Secretary) so no matter what political party they are from it won't influence decisions.

2. The commissioner role is to cut away red tape and have one person who can say yay or nay and for the police force/service to be able to speak to one person rather than a committee for a decision.

3. They didn't advertise the dates correctly or efficiently.

4. The Isle of Wight won't really see this commissioner over unless its cowes week :)

So do you now actually care?

by sidney barton

16th November 2012, at 18:23:19

It is like a general election. dont matter who you vote things wont that much.

16th November 2012, at 16:06:34

The police are an entity to themselves and listen to no-one, why should another/different bloke at the top make any difference ..........................

unless......................

unless they are of a suffienct forcefull personality to change the attitude of the police, ................. but.

must dash a flight of pigs is just going over and I want to shoot some down and make Pig's Wings Butties

by Don Prescott

16th November 2012, at 16:01:28

I voted for Simon Hayes, so it is inevitable that he will win as I rarely get things wrong (or beaten).

by Dan Wavell

16th November 2012, at 13:53:04

I'm shocked it was that high, I thought the apathy here would be more than many other places as it's a Hampshire & IOW post which is too big a picture for many IOW residents to see.

Whether the post needs to exist at all is debatable, but I certainly don't think it should be a politically influence post and I don't that us as members of the public have anywhere near enough knowledge of the skills required for the job to have any idea who to vote for.

The whole thing seems completely stupid and a big waste of time and money. And yes, I did tell them that on my ballot paper.

by T Rollingsworth

16th November 2012, at 12:51:50

After reading all their online material it seems kind of pointless, they all say "We want to fight crime". Nothing will change, we have just p*d £100million up the wall for this.

by Pam Riddet

16th November 2012, at 12:14:12

14.3% - that's quite good, looking at the figures for the rest of the country!

by T Rollingsworth

16th November 2012, at 12:08:16

I went past my local polling station when I got home around 7 and felt sorry for the people sat there doing nothing.
I've heard lots of info on the radio about it but never really heard anything about the date of the vote nor any publicity around what these people plan to do. I'm still yet to work out what the police & crime commissioner will actually be doing.

I probably would have voted if I had remembered, or if they posted some kind of material about what they aim to achieve with it.