ASPHALT plant plans for the River Medina have officially been withdrawn, it has been confirmed today (Tuesday).
It follows a deal, announced last August, between Isle of Wight highways PFI supplier Eurovia Group and the parent company of Island-based Bardon Vectis, to provide surfacing material for Island Roads from their Blackwater Road site.
Planning permission has now been granted for a new plant at Blackwater, which will provide the material.
MP Andrew Turner said Eurovia Group chief executive Scott Wardrop confirmed the news to him in writing yesterday (Monday).
"Mr Wardrop was very candid that the application had not been handled well up to the time we met and also told me that they had never met with such determined opposition to similar plans elsewhere in the country," said Mr Turner.
He said he had accepted an invite to open a new plant, at Bardon Vectis, on behalf of those who had campaigned to get the right result for the Island. He said he hoped the announcement heralded a more collaborative and productive relationship between the company and Islanders.
Cllr Julia Baker-Smith, who spearheaded the Wight Residents against Asphalt Plant (WRAP) campaign before being elected to the Isle of Wight Council last year, said: "I am absolutely delighted, I stood for council as a result of my involvement in this campaign which has been two years of hard work.
"The people of East Cowes and Cowes were rightly concerned about the impact the plant would have had on our lives and it has been a pleasure to have been able to help them to influence the final result and to prove that people power really does work.
"All credit goes to the hardwork of WRAP campaigners and of course the help of my colleagues in the independent administration who have negotiated to ensure Island Roads have access to the asphalt that is needed, while retaining the existing jobs at St Georges Down, the option residents always saw as the common sense solution."