Musicians back venue after noise complaint

By Richard Wright

Friday, January 25, 2013

Musicians back venue after noise complaint

The Wight Rock Bar in Ryde.

YOUNG musicians have come out in support of a music venue, which faces a licence review after noise complaints.

Musicians who cut their teeth at Ryde’s Wight Rock Bar, have started a petition to save the venue, which is to have its licence reviewed after a complaint to the Isle of Wight Council.

The neighbour claims "excessive disturbance — in excess of 1,170 occasions during the last six or seven years."

He pins the blame on a ventilation shaft carrying sound through the Victorian building.

The flat owner, who has the support of eight other complainants, has called for the licence to be suspended until full soundproofing is installed.

The neighbours have said their lives have been made miserable by the music.

Historically, when the first application was made eight years ago, environmental health officers recommended refusal of the licence or wanted soundproofing installed to make noise "inaudible" from residential properties above the cellar bar.

Wight Rock owner Shaun Newnham said he was confident a solution could be found, however Platform One College of Music student Gareth Ashworth, said he feared for the future of the Lind Street venue and has organised the petition.

He said: "If it closes it will mean there will be no venue/bar for young and inexperienced bands to have as a starting point as musicians.

"We've organised a gig tomorrow so people can sign the petition and 'Save the Rock'."

People have until February 4 to comment on the licence review which will be decided by the Isle of Wight Council’s licensing committee at a meeting on a date to be fixed.

Tomorrow's gig, which will feature Charming, Fine Lines and a DJ set from Mike Champion, starts at 8pm and entry is free.

Reporter: richardw@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by Steven Taylor

29th January 2013, at 20:57:52

First I would like to say sorry to Mike Crowe for my comments.I was angry and spoke out of touch for me.MIKE I AM SORRY FOR MY COMMENTS.I hope you accept it.Second I still think bands should have a place to play. p.s Mike I am sorry again,my comments were unjust and without foundation.

by Steve Wright

27th January 2013, at 01:38:23

Mark Hitchman.......thanks for the comment's, I'm glad that you enjoyed Dirty Habit when you last saw us. Mark, the other guitarist in DH, is now playing in Kevin 17 and Ska'd For Life......totally different styles of music but he's always been more versatile than me!! I'm a one trick pony!
Keep checking the Gig Guide for Riff Raff (the Bass player, Glen, is also ex Dirty Habit), we have 3 gig's in February, the first being Sunday 3rd at the High Park tavern at about 15:30 .....Thanks again!!

by mark johnson

26th January 2013, at 19:10:53

Mike Crowe will sort it out. He is the man!

26th January 2013, at 11:24:45

I take it your view has been removed? I had one removed when I hit the truth on a matter ;-)

by Mark Hitchman

26th January 2013, at 10:04:10

Going slightly off thread, I haven't seen Riff Raff, but I saw Steve Wrights old band Dirty Habit a few times years ago when they had him and another guitar player. Some of the twin lead stuff they played was amazing. I don't know what that other guitar players up to now but he was really good. Good luck with Riff Raff Steve, and I'll make a point of going to watch you. Maybe in the Wight Rock bar.

26th January 2013, at 10:00:40

also Steven, you might like to look here where I am the Membeership Secretary and do most of the photography :-)

26th January 2013, at 09:54:02

and Steven, you might like to look through ....

26th January 2013, at 09:49:31

Steven Taylor

""Get a life""??

How about this?

26th January 2013, at 07:41:08

by John Lovell

26th January 2013, at 07:38:54

Thanks for the explanation Steve. Makes sense.