New hospital restrictions after norovirus outbreak

By a County Press reporter

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

 

New hospital restrictions after norovirus outbreak

St Mary's Hospital. Picture by Jennifer Burton.

NEW RESTRICTIONS have been put in place at St Mary's Hospital to deal with what the Isle of Wight NHS has described as the serious challenges it faces following an outbreak of norovirus.

In a statement issued today (Wednesday), a spokesman said around a fifth of the 236 beds at the hospital had been affected and all in-patient operations, except those for cancer, have been cancelled this week as a result.

Sarah Johnston, Deputy Director of Nursing said: "To enable us to get this nasty bug under control we have had to take a further step to restrict visiting and to create additional capacity to manage the situation we have had to cancel all non-urgent in-patient operations.   

"I recognise that these new measures and the ones already in place are causing considerable inconvenience for patients and visitors but it is essential that we get this under control.  

"We are grateful for everyone’s co-operation."

The hospital has introduced the following new measures:

• All visiting to the main hospital (not just to the wards closed to new admissions) is restricted to essential visiting only and a time (not necessarily between 2pm and 3pm) to visit must be agreed with the Ward Manager.   Wards should be contacted via the Hospital Switchboard.

• All scheduled in-patient operations, apart from those for cancer, have been cancelled until the end of this week.   The operations will be rescheduled as soon as possible.

Other restrictions remain in place:

• Access to the main hospital for patients and visitors is only via the main entrance.  It is therefore better to park closer to the main entrance if you have mobility issues or arrange to be dropped at the main entrance before cars are parked.

• Visitors and patients are asked to ensure they cleanse their hands on entering and leaving the hospital and entering and leaving clinical areas.  

• No more than two visitors per patient.

• Children under the age of 16 and elderly or vulnerable adults should not visit unless necessary.

• Anyone who has had symptoms, such as vomiting and diarrhoea, must not come into the hospital until they have been clear of those symptoms for at least 48 hours.

• Patients visiting the Beacon Health Centre and Emergency Department should only be accompanied by one other person if possible.  

    

• A spokesman said the trust would like to stress that day surgery, outpatient appointments or clinics remain unaffected and patients should attend as normal but need to be aware of the restriction on accessing the main hospital only via the main entrance.   

The main areas affected by the outbreak are:

Appley Ward

General Rehabilitation Unit

Stroke Neuro Unit

Whippingham Ward

Medical Assessment Unit (MAU)

St. Helens Ward

The arrangements in place across the hospital mean that all single rooms are in use. Colwell Ward, which was previously closed to new admissions, has been clear of the infection for 72 hours, a spokesman said.

The spokesman added: "It is vital that anyone who is feeling unwell with vomiting and/or diarrhoea, and planning to visit their friend or relative in hospital, nursing or a residential home, stays at home for at least 48 hours after the symptoms stop to avoid the spread of infection.

"Keeping hydrated and drinking plenty of fluids is very important, particularly for the elderly and the very young who are most at risk. If the symptoms persist, telephone NHS 111. Further details of symptoms are available on the NHS Choices website."

Good hand hygiene using soap and water is important during outbreaks of norovirus as it is highly contagious.

Thorough cleaning of hard surfaces with a bleach solution, paying particular attention to the toilet and toilet area, will help to reduce the spread of the virus.  

Comments

Log-in or register to comment on this story. See our House Rules here.

By ticking "Remember me" you agree to a cookie being stored on your computer - no personal data is shared.

Forgotten your password?

Log-in to Report

by Philip Yates

21st March 2014, at 16:48:19

Also reported cases at island schools, according to the twitter feed.

Log-in to Report

by matthew eldridge

21st March 2014, at 09:14:23

simple hygiene would help a lot from visitors and staff alike

Log-in to Report

by Stephen Elliott

19th March 2014, at 22:51:56

Bring back bleach in to the hospitals

Log-in to Report

by Sue Grimwood

19th March 2014, at 22:14:17

It would also be helpful if staff didn't wear their uniforms out of work .when I was in the Beacon center recently I was concerned to see a doctor put her handbag on the floor before picking it up and putting it on the desk.and finally I have seen the cleaning being done, sorry to be harsh to the cleaners but it isn't that good !

Log-in to Report

by Michaela White

19th March 2014, at 18:39:49

It would have been handy if this was issued before! My autistic son went into melt down yesterday as we unsuccessfully tried to get through a locked door (the normal one we take) and was a horrendous state by the time we got to our appointment. Maybe a board erected at the road entering the hospital would be handy? Would have saved me a whole heap of trouble

Log-in to Report

by Mat Thomas

19th March 2014, at 18:04:29

About time too.

Log-in to Report

by Margaret Hopkinson-Woolley

19th March 2014, at 18:01:13

So many people were caught out this morning at the north entrance at St Mary's. I saw many elderly people, and families trying to get in and having to struggle to the main entrance. I was so concerned that I went to the help desk in the main entrance to ask for something to be done about the problem, having unsuccessfully spoken on my mobile to somebody in the hospital who told me there was a virus. A wasted call. This was a bad let down by the managers.

Log-in to Report

by Jan Morris

19th March 2014, at 16:03:22

Hope our island schools take note of this advice. They only require children to be off school for 24 hours after sickness or diarrhoea.

Log-in to Report

by Tony Tiltman Jnr

19th March 2014, at 15:37:20

I hope all of this is being broadcast on the local radio and tv, not everyone will have access to this website. Come on St Marys' clean up your act !!

Any views or opinions presented in the comments above are solely those of the author and do not represent those of the Isle of Wight County Press.

Facebook Icon Twitter Icon Delicious Icon

More News

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

Most Read

  1. Road closed after collision

    Wednesday, July 30, 2014

  2. Club protests over eviction by council

    Wednesday, July 30, 2014

  3. Worker rescued from cherry picker

    Wednesday, July 30, 2014

  4. More police patrols for Cowes Week

    Wednesday, July 30, 2014

  5. Parents back term-time holidays

    Wednesday, July 30, 2014

View our Elgin Traffic & Travel Map