New police station for Newport

By Sue Pert

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

New police station for Newport

Newport police station.

NEWPORT will have a new police station in the next two to three years, according to Hampshire and Isle of Wight police and crime commissioner Simon Hayes.

The new building, to be known as a police investigation centre, will either be on the existing site opposite County Hall or in a new location in the town.

The scheme was revealed to the County Press by Mr Hayes, and is part of a project to reduce the police buildings maintenance bill in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight from £20 million a year to just £5 million over the next four years.

The new centre will have a custody suite and offices for police work, although it has not been decided which units would operate from it.

"It could be on the current site, or elsewhere. It will depend on what is available and what it would cost," he said.

For more on this story, please see the current edition of the Isle of Wight County Press, Friday, February 21.

Reporter: suep@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by Keven Ball

27th February 2014, at 11:40:13

I wonder if the police service could run courses to help raise funds? A course in English would really benefit the locals!

by John Atkins

26th February 2014, at 22:43:57

An interesting statement. Replacement will be built on the same site or elsewhere. Just as I suspected.

by Peter Jeffery

26th February 2014, at 20:42:09

So long as it was no milk and no sugar.

by Peter Jeffery

26th February 2014, at 19:52:31

Neil

If so, then hate to say it, but I may well have brought you breakfast !

by david wright

26th February 2014, at 12:25:59

I think the police station should definately be refurbished as they will never build a new one of any quality for a financial saving on the future maintenance costs of the existing one.
Perhaps the truth is with the forthcoming front line officer cuts now they have spent all the money on the very worthwhile Police commisioner the new Police station will be a Portacabin or perhaps a camper van for the one Police officer left on duty!!

Maybe Dr Who has a spare Tardis?

by Keven Ball

26th February 2014, at 11:08:37

@ Colin
Although it is clear, my views here sometimes not welcomed. I am an islander by rights and have the islands best interest at heart. I moved away as I could see the future of the island was not looking very good or bright (I was right). People need to change their thinking in order to support themselves and the island. The police station I feel could be refurbished and therefore save some much needed money in this case. Investment is the name of the game on the island. I hope it can accept some in the near future.

by IWCP Online

26th February 2014, at 09:31:52

@Baz Taylor - We have removed a number of comments from this thread which did not relate to the story. Ross (web editor)

by Baz Taylor

26th February 2014, at 09:17:59

Why does the CP On-line keep removing my posts?

by Keven Ball

25th February 2014, at 22:32:40

I feel a good clear out is need here and feel it will happen tomorrow - the police station can be either be improved or moved I guess?

by Keven Ball

25th February 2014, at 22:04:47

@ Wayne
I understand that point. Maybe if the station were refurbished (or extended) it would save money and still make this police station functional? As you say with the cuts, is a new build really required/needed?