New scheme for Cowes site

By Martin Neville

Saturday, April 12, 2014

A HUGE housing scheme for the outskirts of Gurnard and Cowes has been revised.

The original proposal for 99 homes on land between Place Road and Tuttons Hill has been reduced to 90 units by Island-based Penwood Developments.

Speaking to the Isle of Wight County Press, managing director Mike Woodford outlined his vision for a garden village in an area where he said there was clear demand for general housing for families, first-time buyers and those wishing to downsize and retire.

Summarising the main changes to last year’s plans, he said the density had been reduced by ten per cent and spread over the entire 13-acre site, allowing for more green space.

"The mix of housing units allows for smaller two-bedroom units but also includes three and four-bedroom family units as well as quite a few bungalows," said Mr Woodford.

"This scheme will provide 31 much-needed homes to be rented to local families."

However, the original application attracted almost 300 comments, mainly in opposition.

Reporter: martinn@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by Tony Tiltman Jnr

14th April 2014, at 18:34:16

Build it and they will come.

by alan naylor

14th April 2014, at 14:08:17

The economy is getting better all the time and there will be more and more people will be coming to the UK and settling on the I O W where in the country more homes will be needed hard pill to swallow folks

by Stephen Elliott

13th April 2014, at 22:28:12

I don't care as long as it's Not In My Back Yard. Heathrow airport is an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty which is dependant on an individual's perspective of beauty. I'm sure when I see a beautiful woman she's not as beautiful to half the people I know or come across in life.

by Steve Smith

13th April 2014, at 21:59:48

What happens when there is no land on the Island left to build on? if that day ever comes, thousands of years from now I'm sure the future inhabitants will have their own ideas of what to do. They could create more land, build skyscrapers, tunnel underground, they will always have many options. It is not for us to dictate how our future generations will live!

by Stephen Elliott

13th April 2014, at 19:59:45

Then people will leave once it gets to that point. Who cares really though!

Soon we'll have more Romanians than paedos on the island so what does and will it matter

13th April 2014, at 17:14:08

Stephen, what happens when there is no land on the Island left to build on? When it is roof and road from Bembridge to the Needles and from Cowes to Ventnor? When the title of 'AONB' has long since gone?

Where will the demand be and how are they going to satisfy your demand?

I am only looking ahead of course with the experience I have seen of what has been happening for the last 60 years which I have witnessed.

I wonder just how long "AONB" can and will be applied to this Island.

by Stephen Elliott

13th April 2014, at 10:52:59

Homes wouldn't be built if there was no demand. Unfortunately people there is demand and we are a growing population with rising housing costs due to demand.

I say build and grow. With an expanding population and more skilled workers here then businesses will come over. If this isn't to your liking then I suggest you start a new group for yourselves, I suggest a name along the lines of "islanders only, go away".

by Ashley Harcourt

13th April 2014, at 09:18:56

Whilst the level of IWCP reporting can often be lacking in insight and depth I think it should still be impartial. Why the bold, capitalised 'HUGE' comment? That smacks of bias to me.

13th April 2014, at 07:54:09

Bit more demand on the water supply for the washing machines, dish washers, showers and car cleaning, whilst the rain falls on roof and road and directed to the nearest sewer and out to sea instead of the water table.

by Angela Stannett

13th April 2014, at 07:45:13

Stephen Elliott I think yo seem to totally miss the point the area they are planning on building on is a green area it has nothing to with nice/bad areas as you choose to put it but about keeping the beauty of the countryside for everyone to enjoy and also that of the wildlife that is living on it. I live in Gurnard and there is no need to anymore housing here so why does this land have to be taken for no other reason than to put money in someone elses pocket!