Jacky de Bruyne.
THE commanding officer has been reinstated at Cowes Sea Cadets following the election of a new committee.
Jacky de Bruyne was removed from her position earlier in the year by sea cadet authorities following a request by the committee.
But a new committee, led by Cllr Lora Peacey-Wilcox, was elected at a packed AGM of parents and supporters.
It decided to reinstate Jacky to her old role, following popular support by parents.
Jacky said: "I have been involved with the Sea Cadet Corps for 26 years now and I am very glad to be back with TS Osborne.
"I was always hopeful of being able to return and I am now looking forward to working with the new committee, staff and cadets, to make this unit the best in the country."
The junior section has suffered the most since Jacky’s departure and she said she was keen to reignite the spark.
She added: "I want to recruit as many cadets as possible but especially the ten to 12 year olds that make up the junior section."
Cowes Sea Cadets’ next aim is to move into their new building.
So far, £350,000 has been spent on the building, but Cllr Peacey-Wilcox said another £110,000 would be needed to complete it.
She said: "We are very happy to have Jacky back and we are hoping to go forward and secure the funding to get back in the building. It looks wonderful so far."
Part of the remaining work is a disabled access, including a £20,000 lift.
The cadets have been operating without a base of their own for nearly two years, meeting at Cowes Primary School and Cowes Sea Scouts.
A new deal with the IW Council allows them the use of the Cowes Youth Club building, on Arctic Road, for the next three months.
The cadets meet on a Monday and Thursday, between 7pm and 9pm.