New war on domestic abuse

By Martin Neville

Sunday, October 6, 2013

 

New war on domestic abuse

Simon Hayes.

A CAMPAIGN to tackle domestic abuse and violence has been launched by the police and crime commissioner.

Simon Hayes has vowed to improve victim care, encourage more victims to come forward and target more offenders by working with police, charities, voluntary organisations and other professionals across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight.

Mr Hayes said: "There is undoubtedly good work on the Isle of Wight but I think what we need to do is make it even better.

"Practitioners such as the Hampton Trust have said given the right atmosphere and the right opportunity."

The commissioner will now hold a conference bringing together organisations to work out new ways to tackle domestic abuse and violence.

About 140 people working with victims and offenders are due to attend the Eastpoint Centre in Southampton on Wednesday.

Mr Hayes said gaps had already been identified in services for children and young people, men and same sex partnerships. There was a need for early intervention where children were part of abusive relationships, to break the cycle of re-offending, and greater education among young people to prevent them becoming involved in abusive relationships.

"There is overwhelming evidence to show people who commit domestic violence had witnessed it themselves when they were younger," he said.

The commissioner added he wanted to increase the confidence of victims coming forward and asking for help when they were subject to domestic abuse.

Reporter: martinn@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

Log-in or register to comment on this story. See our House Rules here.

By ticking "Remember me" you agree to a cookie being stored on your computer - no personal data is shared.

Forgotten your password?

Any views or opinions presented in the comments above are solely those of the author and do not represent those of the Isle of Wight County Press.

View our Elgin Traffic & Travel Map
Travel News Sponsor