THE fight over noise at a popular Isle of Wight night spot will come before councillors again on Tuesday, with neighbours claiming their lives have been blighted and the bar’s owners raising fears about its future.
The Wight Rock Bar in Ryde has been at the centre of a long-running dispute over noise and Isle of Wight Council officers have now recommended that a licence condition be introduced, setting noise limits to a level inaudible to neighbours.
Conditions were imposed on the Lind Street venue following an Isle of Wight Council hearing in February, when councillors ruled noise from the bar should be barely audible to neighbours.
Wight Rock Bar owners Shaun and Debbie Newnham appealed, claiming it was too onerous given the small number of complaints, but magistrates in April said the case must go back to the Isle of Wight Council to decide on — ruling the wording 'barely audible’ was ambiguous.
The bar now faces a much stricter clampdown after council officers, in a report to be presented to the committee on Tuesday, recommended music and DJ announcements be set at a limit that cannot be heard by residents in the flats above.
Shaun Newnham told the County Press the restriction could put the future of the bar in doubt and efforts to install soundproofing had been delayed after some of those who complained about noise, also objected to an application for listed building consent, needed to carry out the work.
"Whatever happens on Tuesday, we won’t give up, but this could put the future of the bar in doubt," said Mr Newnham, who warned other venues could fall foul of the same restrictions in future.
To view the report, click here