Ofsted failure fears at school

By Emily Pearce

Monday, February 25, 2013

Ofsted failure fears at school

Sandown Bay Academy.

EXTRA teacher training sessions will be held at Sandown Bay Academy, amid speculation the school has failed its Ofsted inspection.

The Ofsted report has not yet been published but parents have voiced fears the school may be given a notice to improve or even placed in special measures, following its inspection last month.

A letter sent to parents two weeks ago, signed by chairman of governors John Gansler, said: "Our conversations with the Ofsted team have confirmed our commitment to improving teaching and therefore the learning of your children in the classroom. With that in mind, we are holding two extra development days to provide focused training for teachers and teaching assistants.

"As you know, there are some areas of the school where recruitment has been a problem. Let me assure you we are very actively seeking to fill these vacancies and are searching widely on the mainland for suitable recruits.

"I hope you will agree we need to do all we can to ensure a high standard of teaching for the benefit of your children."

The development days were originally scheduled for later in the year but were brought forward as a result of the Ofsted inspection. Exam classes will run as usual and students will be set a significant amount of work to complete at home, according to a school spokesman.

Sandown Bay Academy is recruiting a new principal. Applications have been shortlisted and the successful candidate is due to be announced next month. Acting head Shaheen Khan-Jones has stated publicly she would like the job.

l Cowes Enterprise College was placed in special measures by Ofsted last month, after the quality of teaching was found to be inadequate.

Comments

by mark johnson

26th February 2013, at 18:10:20

Just one question. Why can't the extra training days be done during the lengthy half terms? I have to take another 2 days of my hard earned 21 days holiday to look after my child when he should be in school learning!

by S Greaves

26th February 2013, at 17:01:20

The reorganisation of schools forced me to leave the island and teach on the mainland. From the word go it was a monumental disaster that destroyed the morale of so many staff that worked in schools across the island. Under the banner of standards, the council have acquired some good building plots, ruined established communities and jeopardised the future of a whole generation of island pupils.
When I speak to my old colleagues I hear so often of poor discipline in and outside of the classroom and a lack of respect. Surely this has to be tackled as a priority, with the parents of poorly behaved children who stop others from learning and getting on in life being made accountable for their behaviour. Give teachers a better chance to actually teach and you will see standards rise.

by Steve Pointon

26th February 2013, at 16:58:14

Sorry Alan, but the school was suffering long before the changeover, when we moved to the Island 7 years ago, due to lack of places my eldest had to be placed at Ryde High and youngest at Sandown, how I wish they had both gone to Ryde. We had to fight for his education all the way through, Ryde provided constant updates on progress and encouragement, Sandown only provided when pushed, teachers tried their best but had no support and when my youngest was found a college placement for his final year in his chosen career as they had given up on the traditional path, on completion of the course it turned out to be of no value whatsoever as they had given us the wrong details. Thankfully he achieved the grades he required, simply because we paid for private tuition. My business partner's son is now at Sandown and she is looking to move him, they still cannot coordinate the timetable to use the site efficiently and literally have to run from one side of the site to the other for lessons.

by Jake Gully

26th February 2013, at 13:54:58

Special measures again - quelle surprise. Though from where I stand the fault lies with a badly mismanaged schools re-organisation and inept and under resourced LEA. No doubt the headteacher will be scapegoated for the poor performance and senior leadership pillaried - though at the end of the day I don't believe our schools benefit one iota from this churn.

I'm told that the average term for the principal of an academy is just 9 months - how on earth will this culture of blame and fire help to drive up standards?

by James McAdder

26th February 2013, at 12:41:06

From my own time at school, colleges and universities, and from the experiences of my own children, I have come to the conclusion that there are two kinds of teacher.

There are those teachers who WANT to be teachers, they are teachers because they want to impart knowledge to others. They have an enthusiasm for their subject, and that enthusiasm is usually passed on to their students. These are the good teachers.

Then there are the time-servers. They come in, do what is required, then go. No interest in what they are teaching or the kids they are teaching it to. To them its just a job.

I suspect there are plenty of teachers who started off as the first type, but were ground down by poor working conditions, petty bureaucracy, abusive kids (and parents) to become more like the second kind.

And once the fire is out, it is very hard to re-ignite.

by david wright

26th February 2013, at 11:28:08

I wish that someone could say what the actual problem is with education on the IOW?So soon after the major change over it unfair to judge but whatever anyone says you cannot deny that year on year annual RESULTS are abysmal here and that is the end product so something somewhere is going very wrong.You can try and say, oh but the IOW has special circumstances/problems but nationally so do other areas and they do better year on year. We were shocked when we moved here from London over 20 years ago just how far behind the children where and it that time it has got worse! So come on someone,tell us without taking it personally what is the reason IOW schools, with few exceptions, are, based on national figures rubbish???

by Steve Pointon

26th February 2013, at 10:17:45

by Alan Bennett

26th February 2013, at 09:29:16

This School was doing fine before the Council ignored Island residents wishes and moved to this two tier system. Highly successful Primary and Middle Schools were closed. Primary School teachers were moved to High School and were out of their depth. Systems in the newly formed Schools were not ready, despite County Hall patting itself publically on its back and assuring us all was well. So Mr Pugh, another reason to clear your desk and go persue your other job you manage to do whilst taking wages from us

by david wright

26th February 2013, at 01:18:49

I worked in a school for 16 years as a caretaker and i have to say teachers and support staff are 99.99% hardworking, often above and beyond the call of duty and in 2013 are buried by paperwork. However in Mikes defense a comment once made in my time there has always stuck in my mind, and that was, 'The problem with teachers is they have never left school!' If you think about it for a moment it is so true as again many, but not all, teachers go through the schools system and then straight into working at a school so do have limited life experience. Whether that is relevant to how good a teacher they are or not I dont know but being 'institutionalized' cant be a good thing?. One thing i do believe though is that teachers should be rotated between schools every five years or so as I do not think it is healthy teaching at the same school for 20 plus years as no matter how conscientious you are familiarity can breed contempt or at least staleness and a fresh challenge is always good!

by david wright

26th February 2013, at 00:46:21

The problem in education is discipline. The worst day in history was the removal of corporal punishment from schools. I went to school and behaved because I didn't want to be caned. Children today,not all, but some and a growing number misbehave in varying degrees and the educators have no method to stop it. They are guard dogs with no teeth and a small disruptive minority know it.The words 'You cant touch me' are repeated again and the resources are poured into disruptive children who run the school system ragged.The 'last resort' of expulsion from school is now overused as schools have no other punishment of any worth.I am not saying you need to bring back Tom Browns schooldays but a growing proportion of the young have no respect of any kind for authority and cause disproportionate disruption to well behaved but possibly struggling children's learning as there is no punishment to stop it.Our society is far more violent now than in 1978 when caning was stopped is there a link.Yes!!