MORE criticism has been heaped onto the failing Barton Primary School after results of an Ofsted monitoring inspection were published today (Thursday).
The report on the inspection, carried out in September, claimed neither the Isle of Wight Council’s statement of action nor the school’s improvement plans were fit for purpose.
However, the Isle of Wight Council said the authority was supporting the school and investing money in it.
In a letter to headteacher Mark Snow, the monitoring report into the school, which entered special measures in July, claimed more needed to be done to improve the school and early years centre in Green Street, Newport.
It was reported not enough had been done to improve the quality of teaching and the plans covered too many areas and did not contain enough information to allow leaders and managers to tackle the school’s key issues.
It also claimed since the original inspection three teachers had left the school, two had returned from long-term absence and two new teachers had been appointed just before the visit, one of whom has whole-school responsibility for maths.
The report advised the school to track pupils’ progress, urged senior leaders and the newly appointed interim executive board to identify what the school meant by 'good’ teaching and said it could not appoint newly qualified teachers before the next inspection.
Richard Priest, Isle of Wight Council cabinet member for children’s services, said: "The statement of action was drawn up during the period of transition of Hampshire being involved.
"Action has already been taken to address the weaknesses raised and additional support has been put in place.
"This includes a new interim executive board and in excess of £200,000 capital investment has been made in the school building.
"Both the school’s own action plan and the local authority’s statement of action need to be developed in partnership with Hampshire, and we are confident both plans will be judged fit for purpose by the time of the next monitoring visit."