THIS summer’s police drink-drive campaign led to more than 50 arrests on the Isle of Wight.
Across Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, police arrested 593 people between June 1 and September 3 — a 19 per cent reduction on last year — according to figures released today (Wednesday).
That included 445 people charged with driving under the influence. Three have been bailed pending further enquiries and 145 have been released with no further action.
Of those arrested, men accounted for 482 and women 111, police said.
The majority of arrests were made in the force’s Northern Area with 64 in Hart and Rushmoor, near Aldershot. The youngest person arrested in the operation was a 16-year-old boy and the oldest, a 79-year-old man.
August saw the most arrests with 201 followed by June with 188 and July with 186. In the first three days of September there were 18 arrests.
On the Isle of Wight, 53 people were arrested.
Chief Inspector Andy Bottomley, of Hampshire Constabulary Roads Policing Unit, said: "It is encouraging to see a reduction in the number of drink-drivers this summer.
"But while we have arrested fewer people this year, 593 is still too great a number. Sadly this demonstrates that drink-driving is still an issue which many people do not take seriously."
He added: "For those out there who drink and drive I have this message — You are an accident waiting to happen.
"It just takes one wrong move, one delayed reaction and my officers could be knocking on your family’s door to tell them you’re dead.
"Worse still, my officers could be knocking on another family’s door to tell them their loved one is dead because of you."