Pub chain buys old nightclub

By Sara Bryce

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pub chain buys old nightclub

The former Temptation nightclub in Newport.

NATIONAL pub chain JD Wetherspoon has confirmed the purchase of an old nightclub building and former church in Newport, the CP can reveal.

The sale of the former Temptation club, in Lower St James’s Street, which was reopened in 2009 but has since closed its doors, was completed on Monday, May 20.

A spokesperson from the chain said the development start date was unknown but confirmed it planned to keep The William Coppin, at Coppins Bridge, open.

The newly acquired building was the former home of Newport Congregational Church, which sold the last part of the former church to the then owners of Temptation in 2002.

The site, which is made up of two distinct areas, the 5,944 sq ft former church, and the more modern, glazed 3,503 sq ft structure next door, has been home to several bars and clubs over the years, including Booker T’s, Bar Bluu and Temptation. Bar Bluu was granted a 24-hour licence in 2006 after extending its 10am to 4am licence.

The former church has attracted controversy in the past as a late opening venue, including the erection of a large serpent sign to reflect the building’s former life.

Reporter: sarab@iwcpmail.co.uk

Comments

by Craig Harris

29th May 2013, at 16:27:24

John, I think you mean misanthrope. That's a hater of the human race. Not just homosexuals. Lee, I'm certainly not special so, by definition, that makes me common. I've not opened my legs or bashed bins on windows and the last time I was out of bed at 2.30am was to relieve my dicky bladder

by Stephen Elliott

29th May 2013, at 07:12:28

Why is lee homophobic?

I don't get it?

by alan naylor

28th May 2013, at 17:27:18

lighting always stricks the same place twice

by Jane Smith

28th May 2013, at 16:43:48

Is there an echo...............................?

by alan naylor

28th May 2013, at 13:27:04

With the building being a former church perhapsMr Withspoon thinks he can change his water into wine and make more money

by alan naylor

28th May 2013, at 13:27:03

by T Rollingsworth

28th May 2013, at 13:06:58

Awesome, now I have even less reasons to go out to Newport for an evening out! How about opening a pub that you wouldn't feel embarassed about taking friends in?
I suppose I could go to Yates if I was in the mood for watered down drinks, sticky dancefloors and a nice STI?

by jenny cannell

28th May 2013, at 11:53:27

Lee,
what a very rude narrow minded man you have shown yourself to be.

by John Lennon

28th May 2013, at 11:32:19

Lee, you really need to read these stories more carefully! Nowhere does it say the new venue will be 24 hour opening. And it's very homophobic of you to call anyone you don't have time for, "Riff Raff".